Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Shame on the Swiss
118 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: Shame on the Swiss

Dara wrote:
hito wrote:

Reform - DevastatorJr. made a good case that he may not be reformed. Life is littered with tales of Hollywood excess and there is no reason to assume that privately he would not do it again. On the other hand, people may know he is reformed and penitent about his crimes. In the end, I don't know.

Dara wrote:

There is incontrovertible evidence that he is indeed a serial child sex offender. He was in a sexual relationship with 15 year old Nastassja Kinski when he raped Samantha Geimer - the case was widely thought to be the reason his relationship with Kinski ended. The legal age of consent was then and still is 16 in the UK as I believe it is in USA.

There is incontrovertible evidence that he was indeed a serial child sex offender.

Dara wrote:
It is amazing what lengths people will go to to avoid justice.

I agree. He is rich and spoilt and selfish and heavily supported by people who know better.

[quote="Dara"]The man certainly was and almost certainly still is a menace to society, at least in the message he sends out to like minded exploiters of young people.

You are mixing two of the principles of justice in sentencing that I discussed.
The first half is relevant and as I said, I don't know if he is reformed. He appears not to have reoffended over the last 30 years but I could be wrong. So he definitely was a menace, whether he still is needs further investigation.
The second part deals with deterrant which is a very different principle. I think I presented a pretty strong argument that he should be jailed as a deterrant to other would be Hollywood rapists, which I assume was the judge's reason for expecting he get more than 90 days probation (thanks, Labhead) for having sex with a 13 year old.
So to get it clear; he was a menace, may still be one and jailing him - even after 30 years - would be a deterrent to "like minded exploiters of young people."

Jul 15, 2010, 09:02

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: