Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Shame on the Swiss
118 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: Shame on the Swiss

Dara wrote:
hito wrote:

I don't think being paid compensation could make you truly forgive someone. In fact, I wonder whether the actions of your attacker are relevant at all. You could forgive someone who is unrepentant or you may not forgive someone who is repentant. I think forgiveness comes from within.

A laudable and high-minded opinion Hito, and I really wish it was generally true. But I feel there is a difference between 'hush money' and 'forgiveness' and there are many perspectives this case can be seen from. In terms of high-minded christian style forgiveness, I am reminded of something a friend of mine who was a university chaplain said in response to a request for guidance just after the 9/11 attacks. When asked 'how do we as christians respond to the horrific attacks which left so many innocent people dead?'.

He replied:

'we kiss the hand of those who killed our children'

Nice idea in promoting world peace and brotherly love and all that - but sorry, it's bollocks.

I don't disagree that it may not be true forgiveness. I already said that if she is just forgiving to be left alone then that would not be an acceptable situation. So we are agreed on the hush money and potentially expedient expression of forgiveness.

If your "Christian" friend (Christian being followers of Jesus Christ) thinks that forgiving the September 11 bombers is bollocks then I don't know why they are a Christian.

If you don't believe in forgiveness in yourself, for you it is not possible.

But don't let your cynicism tell me or anyone else that they cannot forgive. I can and do every day and I am not a Christian.

Jul 15, 2010, 09:16

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: