Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?
Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?

Would that eliminate the threat of abusive, rude and even racist (yes it is sad but it has occurred) behavior?
Or would that compromise freedom of speech too much?

Also, could anyone tell me why a few years ago this forum was closed? I honestly don't know. Was it for similar problems?

Jul 21, 2010, 16:32

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

Re: Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?

I'm personally against any form of censorship, and I'd guess that any moderator would probably have to do it free of charge.

Jul 21, 2010, 16:35

k.
k.
407 posts

It's a losing battle. Certain users have been banned in the past, but it's extremely rare. Best to ignore those users who resort to name-calling.

Jul 21, 2010, 16:37

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

I'll never understand the urge some people have to censor others on a public forum or even ban them from speaking entirely. Isn't it simple enough to simply not read messages from those you find offensive, or is the idea that you don't want others to read them either?

Neither god nor master.

Jul 21, 2010, 16:45

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

Pikey has better things to do.

Jul 21, 2010, 16:47

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

DevastatorJr. wrote:
I'll never understand the urge some people have to censor others on a public forum or even ban them from speaking entirely. Isn't it simple enough to simply not read messages from those you find offensive, or is the idea that you don't want others to read them either?

Neither god nor master.

I agree.

Jul 21, 2010, 16:50

meanchico
meanchico
2697 posts

totally! no one is obligated to get involved in the mud slinging.

that said, I really think it was lame how LBO was driven away. he's a good guy.

Jul 21, 2010, 16:55

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

DevastatorJr. wrote:

Neither god nor master.

Why do some of you always think that I am trying to tell others what to do?
I am trying to have a peaceful thread here and here is another attack.
Am I not entitled to my opinions?
If I "suggest" or "propose" something it does not mean that I want to enforce it.
But yes, if it was up to me I would ban certain users as they are simply annoying. Maybe I should really try and not read their entries. But it is hard as they enter almost every single thread like insects!

But can anyone, if you remember, tell me why the old forum was closed?

Jul 21, 2010, 16:59

k.
k.
407 posts

DevastatorJr. wrote:

I don't know, when you have a community, there are certain expected customs and decorums. You can't go around calling your neighbors names all the time without something bad happening. Imagine if this weren't teh internetz, would you allow somebody to follow you around saying rude things to you, and not entertain the option of calling the cops for harassment?

Jul 21, 2010, 16:59

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

k. wrote:
DevastatorJr. wrote:

I don't know, when you have a community, there are certain expected customs and decorums. You can't go around calling your neighbors names all the time without something bad happening. Imagine if this weren't teh internetz, would you allow somebody to follow you around saying rude things to you, and not entertain the option of calling the cops for harassment?

Exactly.
And this should be valid even when it is not about yourself.
For example one time I heard my bad neighbor shouting at the street cleaner because he had complained about rubbish that was dumped on the sidewalk by my neighbor seconds after he had cleaned it. All he said to him is "why are you doing this? I have just cleaned it? why don't you put it into your bin?"
The bin was actually closer than the sidewalk to him.
The neighbor than told him to "fuck off", to do his job and to go back to his country because he's a "fucking nigger".
As some of you may know my neighbor is a Russian refugee who doesn't work, etc.
He leaves in London but he thinks that an honest man like the street cleaner who actually works should go back to Africa.
I was outraged and I had to intervene.
In a lesser sense this is how I sometimes feel reading certain posts in this forum.

Jul 21, 2010, 17:15

Pages: 11 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index