Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Log In
-Register
Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?
Log In to post a reply
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Re: Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?

the forum was shut down before because idiots were emailing the bands' manager every day with complaints about each other demanding... I dunno what they were demanding- BANNING and MODERATING! and people were home trolling and stalking! so please, make an effort to not take everything so personally and enjoy the discussions about Stereolab. as they are on hiatus and this is our only fan link to them and some of us have been gathering here for years to exalt them formally, fanatically. we go to see them perform. cheeso goes to the show, he never misses it. we sit here for years waiting for an lp or ep or interview or any scrap of memorabilia. so please don't muck this up for us.

Jul 21, 2010, 23:54


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
746 posts

Re: Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?

Ridiculous. You've said repeatedly that a rank-and-file Stereolab forum old-timer needs to be banned for being (gasp!) "rude".

Once again, ask yourself: do I really want interesting conversation, or do I want consensus?

The irony is you've achieved the latter by acting like such a little girl.

Jul 21, 2010, 23:58


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?

s_lush_s wrote:
I don't understand why you can't just deal with people? You are the type of person who vies to instigate dismissals of coworkers you disagree with. You are! I know it!
I've worked with people like you. Why can't you moderate yourself? I disagree with many things said here, but I hold my tongue, most of the time. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all! don't even express your disagreement. I've tried-over the internet, sentiments can be so easily misinterpreted. so try not to be so serious.

and try to get along or not. Is your choice.


Ok, I will try to be less serious from now on.
But you seem to know me so well, even how I am at my workplace! How fascinating.
I have disagreed with many things said in the forum too, but just recently I expressed myself on Polanski and on the "rudeness" of cheeso and company.
Do I deserve all this for having said what I thought for once?
You have attacked me because I disagreed. Not very democratic.

Jul 21, 2010, 23:59


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
746 posts

Re: Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?

"You have attacked me because I disagreed. Not very democratic."

100% to the contrary - this is the essence of democracy.

Jul 22, 2010, 00:05


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?

vivakomeda wrote:
"You have attacked me because I disagreed. Not very democratic."

100% to the contrary - this is the essence of democracy.


More like a dog eating his own tale.
I disagree, you attack me because I disagree, I complain because you have attacked me, you attack me because I have complained...does not make much sense: basically you can disagree but I can't!

Jul 22, 2010, 00:10


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?

s_lush_s wrote:
so please, make an effort to not take everything so personally and enjoy the discussions about Stereolab. as they are on hiatus and this is our only fan link to them and some of us have been gathering here for years to exalt them formally, fanatically. we go to see them perform. cheeso goes to the show, he never misses it. we sit here for years waiting for an lp or ep or interview or any scrap of memorabilia. so please don't muck this up for us.


This is what I have been saying all along!
I have criticized some of you because you seem to forget about Stereolab most of the time and instead get involved in unenjoyable discussions (i.e. Polanski which I joined too for a change).
I enjoy very much the discussions about Stereolab and everything else you have mentioned.
I am not relatively new like someone has stated: I have been posting since SOUND DUST and never had problems before.
And I am not the one trying to muck this up at all:
I am actually complaining about users who seem to do this on a regular basis.
I might be whining but I really feel misunderstood here.

Jul 22, 2010, 00:22


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
746 posts

Re: Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?

No, we can both disagree with one another. If you take what I feel is a morally dubious position on something, I may question you and the base of your morality. I'd expect you to do the same of me or anyone else. Fine.

But you have to realise how it sounds when you complain about "rudeness" or "insensitivity" or even "racism".

There used to be a guy called Left Boob Oscillator (among other aliases/etc) whose m.o. was exactly that - start a controversial thread or make a provocative statement, wait for people to come back at him, then throw his hands up and say "oh dear, I've been attacked!!!!". It's an old trick and tiresome for bitter old men like myself and (I presume) Cheeso.

Jul 22, 2010, 00:27


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?

vivakomeda wrote:
No, we can both disagree with one another. If you take what I feel is a morally dubious position on something, I may question you and the base of your morality. I'd expect you to do the same of me or anyone else. Fine.

But you have to realise how it sounds when you complain about "rudeness" or "insensitivity" or even "racism".

There used to be a guy called Left Boob Oscillator (among other aliases/etc) whose m.o. was exactly that - start a controversial thread or make a provocative statement, wait for people to come back at him, then throw his hands up and say "oh dear, I've been attacked!!!!". It's an old trick and tiresome for bitter old men like myself and (I presume) Cheeso.


I don't think I am like that at all. I don't do this tricks.
If I have something to say I say it and try to be civil about it. I don't do it to stir things up.
The only thread I started that could be criticized in this respect was the one where I complain about cheeso and his behavior. I did it because it was genuinely annoying me.
Somebody who says to a presumably foreign user "when are you going to learn English?" is very racist.
This attitude is frankly indefendable: if, for example, you said something like that to a colleague in my workplace you would be sacked.

Jul 22, 2010, 00:50


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
746 posts

Re: Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?

"Somebody who says to a presumably foreign user "when are you going to learn English?" is very racist."

Well rude, yes, and perhaps ignorant, but racist? No. Language and race are two very different things.

And frankly, even if someone was being racist around here (i.e. actually RACIST) I don't think censorship or moderation is the appropriate way to deal with it. Ignore or ridicule the offender, and trust the good sense of others in the forum to come to your defense.

The fact that people generally haven't done so in your case might suggest that you've reacted to Cheeso and others the wrong way.

Jul 22, 2010, 01:02


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

Re: Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?

velvetwater wrote:

Somebody who says to a presumably foreign user "when are you going to learn English?" is very racist.


"English" is a language, not a race. The person that comment was aimed at an American. Not only an American, but one who claimed to be a communications major!

Jul 22, 2010, 01:06

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index