Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?
Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?

hito wrote:
Telling someone who is not a native speaker to learn English would generally be considered racist in common parlance. Of course, you could argue otherwise but it is a little bit disingenuous. If I walk into a store and get served by a Vietnamese guy - whose grasp of the language is poor - and say to him "when are you going to learn English?", I reckon 9 out of 10 people would call that racist. Of course, you could disagree.

The second point is a good one. I think it is a little idealistic given the way people debate matters here but it is a goal to aim for. But i guess there has to be respect as a guiding principle. I have no allegiance to velvetwater (despite the praise I get) but I think people are ganging up on an angry person. Few people are giving him a break or trying to calm the situation. If the opposite were true, then i would say moderators are pointless.
But this is where a good moderator can help. I have been in forums with moderation and they are generally not oppressive. I think the history of flaming and vicoious attacks on the net would demonstrate that moderation is necessary.
If people start calling others "nigger", "cunt", "whore", "gook", "nip", "wog", "slut", "faggot" or other such insults then it really is not on. I would say that a person saying that is not being censored and moderation is hardly big brother. I don't think people have the "right" to freely abuse others.

Why can't everyone "argue" their ideas in this manner?
Hito, we seem to agree on more than one issue (I am obviously happy as at least this offers me a moment of respite!), but my appreciation goes beyond the fact that we share similar opinions.
Even when you disagree with me (or anyone else) you do it in a way that can make me appreciate a different point of view..
Wouldn't it be a nicer forum if we all followed a similar method? This way there wouldn't even be the need of talking about having a moderator.
Maybe I didn't put my point across as effectively, but that's what I really aimed at since I started posting about this in the last few days.

Jul 22, 2010, 11:35

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Yes.

Jan 21, 2011, 15:01

raygun
raygun
170 posts

The moderator would be a bridge and not a wrecking ball.

Jan 21, 2011, 15:18

JS
JS
489 posts

Of course, a moderator would be a good thing here.

In the meantime, if you can accept Cheeso's (Squirrel, etc..) personal attacks on other forum members, then you will have to accept my attacks on Cheeso. It is a very sad thing that I am the only one here who has the balls to treat this sucker the way he's deserving.

Jan 21, 2011, 17:21

GaryB2
GaryB2
2325 posts

Y'all should just ignore each other. I find the interchanges rather amusing but, as Pikey says, it gives newcomers a bad impression of the groop's forum. Whodathunk that Stereolab would have such bickering fans? We are musos ffs! :)

Jan 21, 2011, 21:41

nsc283b
405 posts

What is the problem here? Too much analysing again I think. We are all on this forum for one reason; because we all love Stereolab. We all share a common ground. Our views about various aspects of the Groop and their music may differ but essentially we all love and miss Stereolab. Surely we can debate those differences in a pleasant manner without the need for any insults, or the use of a moderator? Everyone's views are as valid as everyone elses, so lets respect that and have some lively and interesting debates, with some humour thrown in.

Jan 21, 2011, 22:11

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

[quote="nsc283b"]What is the problem here? Too much analysing again I think...Surely we can debate those differences in a pleasant manner without the need for any insults, or the use of a moderator?...quote]

The reason why some of us consider the possibility of a moderator is exactly because certain members are not capable of debating without insulting!

Jan 21, 2011, 22:18

nsc283b
405 posts

Yes, but should we all suffer for the sake of the few. In addition, the messages you or I might think need moderating, a moderator might deem to be ok. Will the moderator end up having to be assessed? Who is going to decide what's acceptable and what isn't? Who will police it? Will it all become too cumbersome to continue with the forum? Where might it all end?

I do agree with your valiant attempt to 'clean up' certain aspects of the forum, but I'm just not sure that a moderator is the best way to go. Maybe just ignoring every unsuitable message that's posted would help. If I don't like something, I ignore it. If we all did the same, and not rise to the bait, maybe the culprits would get the message.

Jan 21, 2011, 22:52

bassRelex
bassRelex
43 posts

velvetwater wrote:
I was referring to dev's reply.

the devil

Feb 03, 2011, 04:54

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5922 posts

You're really spamming the board. Is Ninja tunes down or something?

Feb 03, 2011, 04:56

Pages: 11 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index