Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?
106 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

DevastatorJr.
DevastatorJr.
961 posts

Re: Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?

k. wrote:
DevastatorJr. wrote:
I'll never understand the urge some people have to censor others on a public forum or even ban them from speaking entirely. Isn't it simple enough to simply not read messages from those you find offensive, or is the idea that you don't want others to read them either?

I don't know, when you have a community, there are certain expected customs and decorums. You can't go around calling your neighbors names all the time without something bad happening. Imagine if this weren't teh internetz, would you allow somebody to follow you around saying rude things to you, and not entertain the option of calling the cops for harassment?

A few things - first, because this is in fact an internet forum, the same rules of behavior don't apply as in the case of someone following you around in the physical real world. Again, here on the internet, we always have the option of simply not reading comments from those we don't like. This may not be convenient, but personally, I value the right to free speech, particularly here on the internet, one of the last bastions of free speech, more than the minor annoyance of having to scroll past some objectionable comments.

Second, whose standards of behavior are we to abide by? I'm sure we all have different ideas about what is objectionable speech and what is not, unless we had some sort of written charter that we all agreed to, any moderators decisions would be totally arbitrary. The way I see it playing out would be that those incessantly complaining about others would probably end up winning, if only because the moderator would tire of hearing about it. But that wouldn't necessarily make it right.

Lastly, I didn't intend my comments as an attack, (well, maybe I did, but an attack on the idea of censorship, not a personal attack, since I don't know you,) and of course you have the right to express your opinion, just as I have the right to express my opinion about yours, and on and on and on. That's what free speech is all about, right? ;)

Jul 21, 2010, 17:52

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: