Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?
106 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: Would the introduction of a moderator be good for the forum?

hito wrote:
Telling someone who is not a native speaker to learn English would generally be considered racist in common parlance. Of course, you could argue otherwise but it is a little bit disingenuous. If I walk into a store and get served by a Vietnamese guy - whose grasp of the language is poor - and say to him "when are you going to learn English?", I reckon 9 out of 10 people would call that racist. Of course, you could disagree.

The second point is a good one. I think it is a little idealistic given the way people debate matters here but it is a goal to aim for. But i guess there has to be respect as a guiding principle. I have no allegiance to velvetwater (despite the praise I get) but I think people are ganging up on an angry person. Few people are giving him a break or trying to calm the situation. If the opposite were true, then i would say moderators are pointless.
But this is where a good moderator can help. I have been in forums with moderation and they are generally not oppressive. I think the history of flaming and vicoious attacks on the net would demonstrate that moderation is necessary.
If people start calling others "nigger", "cunt", "whore", "gook", "nip", "wog", "slut", "faggot" or other such insults then it really is not on. I would say that a person saying that is not being censored and moderation is hardly big brother. I don't think people have the "right" to freely abuse others.

Why can't everyone "argue" their ideas in this manner?
Hito, we seem to agree on more than one issue (I am obviously happy as at least this offers me a moment of respite!), but my appreciation goes beyond the fact that we share similar opinions.
Even when you disagree with me (or anyone else) you do it in a way that can make me appreciate a different point of view..
Wouldn't it be a nicer forum if we all followed a similar method? This way there wouldn't even be the need of talking about having a moderator.
Maybe I didn't put my point across as effectively, but that's what I really aimed at since I started posting about this in the last few days.

Jul 22, 2010, 11:35

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: