Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Christian fist fight at Church of the Holy Sepulchre
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Re: Christian fist fight at Church of the Holy Sepulchre

Simply trying to understand why Webster's is the end-all, be-all source now. Not that Webster's or any other source we've mentioned here actually goes against what Devastator, Jr. and I were saying.

Oh well. Not your most convincing effort in running off on/hiding behind a random tangent, LBO, but it was fun watching you try!

Nov 11, 2008, 17:58

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

GaryB wrote:
wracket wrote:
Boye, is min facen redd.

According to your avatar so is your head, torso and arms.

(If I'd known the Middle English form of "avatar" I'd have given yours a go too, Gary.)

Nov 11, 2008, 18:00

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

wracket wrote:
Simply trying to understand why Webster's is the end-all, be-all source now. Not that Webster's or any other source we've mentioned here actually goes against what Devastator, Jr. and I were saying.

Oh well. Not your most convincing effort in running off on/hiding behind a random tangent, LBO, but it was fun watching you try!

You can't win the argument just by saying you did. I provided other sources besides Webster's, all of which showed that that there are OTHER definitions of "worship" not including on dictionary.com, and proving that they are more akin to the original meaning of the word as invented by Middle English-speaking Christians.

Nov 11, 2008, 18:04

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

and I also proved that you do in fact worship, assuming you lovingly adore or revere anything.

Nov 11, 2008, 18:05

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

The word wasn't "invented"* by speakers of Middle English. The sources we have quoted show that it came from Old English, and before that Saxon (and if you want, as I jokingly suggested before, you can take its two roots all the way back to the way the Aryan origins of languages that run the gamut from Celtic to Sanskrit)... But again, correct me if I'm wrong, we were speaking modern English at the beginning of this thread, weren't we? So all of that is moot.

*You truly need to know a bit more about the basic fundamentals of etymology and linguistics in general before you go around spouting them to try, albeit with little effect, to prove your points.

Nov 11, 2008, 18:16

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

wracket wrote:
The word wasn't "invented"* by speakers of Middle English. The sources we have quoted show that it came from Old English, and before that Saxon (and if you want, as I jokingly suggested before, you can take its two roots all the way back to the way the Aryan origins of languages that run the gamut from Celtic to Sanskrit)... But again, correct me if I'm wrong, we were speaking modern English at the beginning of this thread, weren't we? So all of that is moot.

*You truly need to know a bit more about the basic fundamentals of etymology and linguistics in general before you go around spouting them to try, albeit with little effect, to prove your points.

With little effort I have proven that the word worship does not exclusively mean what you say it means. You chose one meaning of the word, just to suit your own argument. Well, so what? And who cares if it took me very little effort to prove you wrong?

Nov 11, 2008, 18:23

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

Also, you don't have to be speaking middle english to use the word "worship" to mean any of the other several things the word can be taken to mean in modern english (all of which, by the way, agree with the middle english meaning)--so shove it.

Nov 11, 2008, 18:26

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
Also, you don't have to be speaking middle english to use the word "worship" to mean any of the other several things the word can be taken to mean in modern english (all of which, by the way, agree with the middle english meaning)--so shove it.

Writing in Middle English again, are we?

Nov 11, 2008, 18:30

Left Boob Oscillator
Left Boob Oscillator
1371 posts

No, I'm writing in modern english, using the word to mean the same thing it has meant since the 11th century.

Nov 11, 2008, 18:32

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Left Boob Oscillator wrote:
No, I'm writing in modern english, using the word to mean the same thing it has meant since the 11th century.

Well I've been trying to worship your point of view here, but with all due worship, I find that your arguments lack much substance.

Nov 11, 2008, 18:44

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index