Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
NOT MUSIC details via Pitchfork
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Cyberpanter
4 posts

Re: NOT MUSIC details via Pitchfork

oh relax, i'm not "trolling" you. I'll stop anyway, ok?

Aug 17, 2010, 21:55

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

revox
revox
800 posts

Cyberpanter wrote:
revox wrote:
Cyberpanter wrote:
Can people stop picking on Slushy? She is a good kid.

Who you calling 'people' fu*kwit - don't mess with your worst nightmare. Piss off.

~8^|>

ooh an internet tough guy who can't even type an actual curse word...scary!!

Sexist, presumptuous prick.

~8^|>

Aug 17, 2010, 22:15

vivakomeda
746 posts

Thought the same thing... the record already sort of feels like it might be a collection of table scraps, and that doesn't help.

Then again, some of the band's most obscure stuff tends to be some of its best. How tracks like Mudra or Magne-Music get buried on compilations or Tour EPs while Silver Sands and the like get feature positioning on LPs is beyond me.

Aug 18, 2010, 00:08

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Archigram wrote:
Ugh, tacking a remix on the end is so depressing...

I totally agree.
But I think the trick here is to see this release more like a "compilation" of unreleased material rather than like a proper album.
Even the inclusion of a second version of SILVER SANDS (I too see it as one of the worst track of CHEMICAL CHORDS, although the live intro was good so I think this one is going to be better) seems to confirm this.
And I would not have much expectations either for an aural realization of the "night album" theory.
Nevertheless, there are still almost a dozen brand new songs to look forward too, some with rather enigmatic and fascinating titles!

Aug 18, 2010, 00:13

Archigram
Archigram
375 posts

velvetwater wrote:
Archigram wrote:
Ugh, tacking a remix on the end is so depressing...

I totally agree.
But I think the trick here is to see this release more like a "compilation" of unreleased material rather than like a proper album.
Even the inclusion of a second version of SILVER SANDS (I too see it as one of the worst track of CHEMICAL CHORDS, although the live intro was good so I think this one is going to be better) seems to confirm this.
And I would not have much expectations either for an aural realization of the "night album" theory.
Nevertheless, there are still almost a dozen brand new songs to look forward too, some with rather enigmatic and fascinating titles!

I truly hope it's a vast improvement over CC!

Aug 18, 2010, 00:43

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Archigram wrote:

I truly hope it's a vast improvement over CC!

Mmh...it is not very likely.
Let's not forget that after all these songs were left out and therefore they were considered less important.
And they will probably resemble the general mood and style of CHEMICAL CHORDS.
But our taste can indeed differ to Tim's and, after hearing NOT MUSIC, we will all say that we wold have selected different tracks for the first album.
Some people have already stated that they consider the extra tracks of CC and the tour single to be superior to many of the chosen songs.
And I am sure that there will be plenty of tracks on NM that will be nicer than SILVER SANDS or DAISY CLICK CLACK, for example.
Of the ones we already know, to me TWO FINGER SYMPHONY is nothing special, whereas BUMP (hopefully included albeit with a different title) seems more promising.
But this is all speculation.
For now let's be happy that at least (and at last) this material will be released.

Aug 18, 2010, 01:09

Archigram
Archigram
375 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
How tracks like Mudra or Magne-Music get buried on compilations or Tour EPs while Silver Sands and the like get feature positioning on LPs is beyond me.

In a sense it seems that they've played it safe with the track selections on some of the proper albums. I guess if there were comp tracks like "Silver Sands" it would be kind of depressing too. ;)

Aug 18, 2010, 01:29

vivakomeda
746 posts

I remember Sadier said something like she thought of CC as "day" and this batch as "night", ie these would be a bit darker in mood.

I certainly hope this is the case. As time has gone on, I've grown to admit that CC was really terrible. Some of those songs are actually embarassing to listen to - Silver Sands and Daisy Click Clack being the main offenders...

Aug 18, 2010, 02:01

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5939 posts

Interesting to read all these varying opinions. At least one says Silver Sands is one of their favorites on CC, and a few say it's one of the worst.

Silver Sands is far from feeling like "night" to CC's day. So unless they took the song and deconstructed it, I don't have as much hope that maybe the album'll be that different. When they change a song a lot, they usually call it something different or a variation on the name.

I thought I read somewhere that Laetitia had more of a hand in this one. So I'm intrigued, and can't wait to hear it, despite disliking that one song pretty intensely.

Aug 18, 2010, 02:53

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5939 posts

Cyberpanter wrote:
oh relax, i'm not "trolling" you. I'll stop anyway, ok?

Ok chee.. um, I mean C2.

Aug 18, 2010, 02:56

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index