Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
NOT MUSIC details via Pitchfork
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: NOT MUSIC details via Pitchfork

velvetwater wrote:

Some people have already stated that they consider the extra tracks of CC and the tour single to be superior to many of the chosen songs.

vivakomeda wrote:

Then again, some of the band's most obscure stuff tends to be some of its best. How tracks like Mudra or Magne-Music get buried on compilations or Tour EPs while Silver Sands and the like get feature positioning on LPs is beyond me.

Agree!

O

Aug 18, 2010, 02:59

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

oops.

Aug 18, 2010, 02:59

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

New Stereolab music!!!

Lets all bitch and moan!

Aug 18, 2010, 03:25

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
I remember Sadier said something like she thought of CC as "day" and this batch as "night", ie these would be a bit darker in mood.

I certainly hope this is the case. As time has gone on, I've grown to admit that CC was really terrible. Some of those songs are actually embarassing to listen to - Silver Sands and Daisy Click Clack being the main offenders...

Yesterday I listened to CC for the first time in about a year and I have to admit that I liked it less than I remembered.
I wouldn't go as far as saying that it is a terrible album:
I probably rate it about half way in my chart of favorite Lab records. But, like in FAB FOUR SUTURE, there is something that I can't quite grasp and explain which makes me dislike it. And it goes beyond the fact that there are 2 or 3 very mediocre songs.
Maybe it is the "fast" tempos, some contrived arrangements, the way melodies sit awkwardly on top of some of the chord changes...I am not sure.
It is a shame, as "esthetically" (and by that I don't just mean the artwork) I quite like it: the genesis and development of the material are fascinating, the sound and production are generally accomplished and some of the songs are beautiful.
But there is that "something"...
I have a feeling this "something" will be found on NOT MUSIC too.
Let's hope I am wrong.

Aug 18, 2010, 11:17

Goldmundroid
Goldmundroid
10 posts

I listen to CC quite often, and whilst it's not my favourite album (I'm more of a mid-period fan), I think it's a good album.

The 2 tracks getting some grief are good too I think, though perhaps untypical.

And so I'm looking forward to Not Music, and I like the cover too, snot or not...

Aug 18, 2010, 15:09

vivakomeda
744 posts

Re: New Stereolab music!!!

Ha, can't argue. Thanks for the slap in the face.

Not Music is better than no music!!

Aug 19, 2010, 06:51

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

OMG! BACHS' CUCKOO AND NIGHTINGALE, UH, BMV 57 ? FOR 4 HARPSICHORDS, my SIGNATURE (UNDERLINED) TUNE IS APPEARING ON
STEREOLABS not music TO BE RELEASED nov. 16 2010????

LOCO!!!!!!!!!

Aug 21, 2010, 07:07

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

DROOL music would have been more a' priori but that was chem chords one. * ahahahahaha* we ums, *chuckles* we Aldo*

Aug 21, 2010, 07:13

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

and if I rush out now, and get my *landline* telephone maybe I will suffer the promised infliction of the government and as a reward I'll receive a STEREOLAB cd at random !!
or we could gather at designated international businesses that will receive the Stereolab reward. and we can participate in a contest to receive the prize. an artistic contest. where our artistic merits will be judged by independent judges with no credentials. only consumers. and we can enter the contest as many times as possible in as many categories as possibles and we can combine our talents when necessary. the only stipulation being that we answer the designated the landline phone , and we're all present for initial entry.

eh? then it'll be like, "It's a Mad, Mad, World !" but only valuable merchandise, which we can have appraised then divide ?

Aug 21, 2010, 07:27

flatironsteak
flatironsteak
341 posts

Oh my am I the only person who likes silver sands? I think silver sands along with neon beanbag,fractal dream of a thing,magne music are the best in CC. those tour ep aren't as good in my opinion. the silver sands live version's intro is definitely very contrived and annoying. I hope it is not the same version in NM.

velvetwater: I do agree that CC is not the best of stereolab, but it is better than FFS by a lot. It is interesting to see how different our tastes are on stereolab music ( I can tell you velvetwater is one of my top 10 favorite lab songs)

I personally can't wait to listen to the new tracks.

Aug 21, 2010, 11:37

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index