Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Simontreal
Simontreal
33 posts

Re: Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!

Thanks for this interesting review !

Oct 12, 2010, 23:56

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5933 posts

Re: First listen, first impressions.

Velvetwater, I think I disagree with much of your assessment, but I'll have to listen a few times to really sink my teeth into it. But for now, I LOVED equivalences. And I do not miss the strings one bit, I dislike them generally, so this is a big relief to me. :) I love it so far, though I skipped over half the Silver Sands remix for now. Can't wait to own the CD. I hope it won't be the last one they do, that thought is giving me a renewed sadness, mixed with such excitement to hear this.

Oct 13, 2010, 04:12

flatironsteak
flatironsteak
343 posts

I just hope that Not Music will not go below FFS in my Stereolab chart. I really like Supah Jaianto and it is at least as good as the best songs on CC, if not better.
But I am not sure about Sun Demon and So Is The Cardboard Cloud.
I admit that Stereolab hasn't been as impressive as they were after ME (still their creations afterward are all more than decent). But I understand the tragedy and the tension happened within the band and maybe this hiatus really is a good break for all of them to regroup and be re-inspired.

Oct 13, 2010, 04:28

jorbel
330 posts

Loved to read your impressions, velvetwater, but they made me think that perhaps you had too high expectations.

I didn't really expected nothing better than what you realistically talk about. ;)

Oct 13, 2010, 15:26

Mu Mu
Mu Mu
2779 posts

Here's notes I took regarding my initial reaction for each song on the Not Music cd...

01. Everybody's Weird Except Me - a bit boring, doesn't really go anywhere.

02. Supha Jaianto - interesting... different... nice horns, very nice song.

03. So Is Cardboard Clouds - like the percussion... odd beat structure.

04. Equivalences - aimless noodling.

05. Lelekato Sugar - not interesting for me, anyway.

06. Silver Sands - almost techno in feel... different... like it very much.

07. Two Finger Symphony - nice, very nice, nice melody... again, beats are sometimes oddly structured.

08. Delugeoisie - seems a bit atonal... doesn't grab me... nice change at the end, but too short.

09. Laserblast - messy, not getting it.

10. Sun Demon - very good.

11. Aelita - dirgey beginning... ok... interesting.

12. Pop Molecules (Molecular Pop 2) - indifferent to this one.

13. Neon Beanbag (Atlas Sound Mix) - cool analog noises... like it a lot.

Oct 13, 2010, 16:51

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5933 posts

Just goes to show, we do all come from different directions in the kind of music we like. The mixes are my least favorite. But in general, I think people here will like this release.

Oct 13, 2010, 17:01

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2139 posts

Has everybody on here heard it except me?!

:/

Oct 13, 2010, 19:08

guero
170 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
Has everybody on here heard it except me?!

:/

Yes!

;)

Oct 13, 2010, 19:40

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

That was a well written out of the cage analysis. Thanks for not overburdening it with metaphors.Although only having heard the snippets, I will probably like NM more than CC. My judgement may be hazed by the fog which is cast by anticipation. Time will tell.

No strings? In retrospec everyone insisted that Sound-Dust didnít have strings, but I stubbornly still believe that Baby Lulu did! In any case, if Stereolab ever performs this album material live in concert you will have Tim in there strumming on the guitar.

Oct 13, 2010, 20:08

vivakomeda
746 posts

I still haven't heard the record except for two tracks: So is Cardboard Clouds (rate it highly) and Supah Jaianto (meh).

It's been interesting to read in more than a couple reviews that people here, whilst mixed on Chemical Chords, are rather dismissive of FFS. What's the story there? I loved FFS...

Oct 13, 2010, 22:15

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index