Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: First listen, first impressions.

jauntymonty wrote:
That was a well written out of the cage analysis. Thanks for not overburdening it with metaphors.Although only having heard the snippets, I will probably like NM more than CC. My judgement may be hazed by the fog which is cast by anticipation. Time will tell.

I hate those kind of reviews myself so, although it wasn't exactly a "polished" review like the kind I would publish on a magazine, it was an attempt at expressing my views while at the same time trying to be objective about the album (if it is ever possible!).
Like somebody else has said, maybe my expectations were to high, but this is exactly what happens when you are "hazed by the fog which is cast by anticipation" (I like this!):
your enthusiasm can easily be curbed.
In any case I didn't dismiss NOT MUSIC. I just criticized some choices that were made in assembling/sequencing it and highlighted his fragmentary nature.
And I still have to listen to it for the second time: maybe tomorrow.

Oct 13, 2010, 23:16

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

This is probably the main problem with NOT MUSIC: the fact that it is presented as a "proper" album.
I think that as a simple compilation of outtakes from the CC sessions it would fare better.
Instead, promoting it as a real album or as the "night side", etc. has only increased the expectations.
I am nevertheless glad that it is finally out.
I am of the opinion that it is better to have something out (even of no great quality) from your favorite artists, rather than nothing!
I just hope it is not going to be the last one.

Oct 13, 2010, 23:26

jorbel
330 posts

Re: Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!

I think that your review is very good, velvetwater. Very realistic, like I said. Even though what you imply is not what I expect from Not Music. Many of the groop's releases are not real albums, like FFS or NM.

Oct 14, 2010, 10:25

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Thank you.
I understand what you are saying, jorbel.
But FFS was a "compilation" of singles (even though they were more or less released all together so it is really a kind of a hybrid compilation), whereas NOT MUSIC has been specifically described (by Tim, Laetitia and Martin) as "not a compilation of outtakes" from CHEMICAL CHORDS, but as part 2 of CC, which is not the same thing.
Had it been released as a "tour cd", as originally intended by Tim Gane, it would have been a completely different story. It would have been an "extra" and a most welcome one. It is still very welcome of course, but now, after 3 years since it was recorded, it can only be considered as a proper album. And this is how it's been marketed anyway.

Let me give you another example.
If you know JOAN AS A POLICEWOMAN, she released 2 albums so far plus a "covers" album that was only sold at her gigs.
Now, if you consider that album has her 3rd lp, you are bound to be disappointed as, however good it may be, it is certainly not as "substantial" as the previous lps, but as an extra release for the tour it is a lovely addition to any fan's collection of JOAN AS A POLICEWOMAN.

It may be a thin barrier, or just a conceptual reasonment that separates the definition of what a proper album is as opposed to a "release" of some other kind (in the end it is always music, right?), but I think that it is actually a key to evaluate an artistic endeavor of this sort whenever ones put himself in a position to do so (like in this post).
Or one could just sit down, listen and feel without expressing his opinion, or he might say "I like it" or "I don't like it". It is just a choice of a approach.

Oct 14, 2010, 13:12

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5933 posts

velvetwater wrote:
This is probably the main problem with NOT MUSIC: the fact that it is presented as a "proper" album.
I think that as a simple compilation of outtakes from the CC sessions it would fare better.
Instead, promoting it as a real album or as the "night side", etc. has only increased the expectations.
I am of the opinion that it is better to have something out (even of no great quality) from your favorite artists, rather than nothing!

I hope other people who read your opinions will realize that they may have a very different impression when they listen to it. Not everyone is going to think so poorly of it, so please everyone reserve judgment until you hear it yourselves.

Oct 14, 2010, 17:08

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I haven't heard it either! where? do I get it? what am I waiting for? I thought it wasn't available until November. What gives? I've only heard "Sun Demon" and I can't tell much from listening here on website. Need to wait for final track.

Oct 14, 2010, 21:40

flatironsteak
flatironsteak
343 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
velvetwater wrote:

I hope other people who read your opinions will realize that they may have a very different impression when they listen to it. Not everyone is going to think so poorly of it, so please everyone reserve judgment until you hear it yourselves.

I think he got the promo cd which means he has already listened to it. For me I have listened to those 3 tracks and I guess I am qualified to express my opinion on the 3 tracks. And to those who get affected by some one's review without actually listening to it they don't deserve to be called 'true fans'.

And yes I think FFS is the worst album ever, but still I like a few songs from that.

Oct 14, 2010, 22:47

corporalclegg
corporalclegg
501 posts

I have Sun Demon, can't wait to here the rest. Just happy something's coming out. May be the last, hopefully not though.

Oct 15, 2010, 00:45

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

cyberpainter wrote:

I don't think "so poorly" of NOT MUSIC.
You make it sound like I have slated it!
I just made some criticism.
Somebody like MU MU, for example, seem more dismissive than me.
And why should somebody make a judgement before hearing it anyway!? Besides, Stereolab don't need a defense lawyer!
I am sure that there will be fans who will like the album, but I am also sure that there will be an equal part who will not be too convinced. Like for CHEMICAL CHORDS and older albums as well.

Oct 15, 2010, 01:07

vivakomeda
746 posts

Velvet, I thought your review was even-handed and sincere. Of course I'll look forward to hearing it myself. But you shouldn't have to apologise for anything in your initial post in my opinion.

Oct 15, 2010, 02:59

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index