Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: First listen, first impressions.

No one is asking anyone to apologize, geesh, and I'm entitled to my opinion too.

Oct 15, 2010, 04:29

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
744 posts

Of course. Just thought that this comment:

"so please everyone reserve judgment until you hear it yourselves."

Was a little odd. Why would anyone think otherwise? Maybe it followed on from a separate post above that I missed.

Oct 15, 2010, 05:06

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Perhaps I should have put it this way, instead of reserve judgment, I should have said for people not to be too concerned or discouraged while they're waiting to hear it. But I'll leave that for the pedants to worry about. Now Velvetwater seems to think that there's a good chance that equal amounts of listeners will like it or "not be too convinced". I guess we'll have to wait and see if that's an accurate speculation.

Oct 15, 2010, 05:22

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

It's not even a speculation, it is what happened most of the times.
Recently, with CHEMICAL CHORDS we have seen more or less equal parts having opposite opinions.
But there have been fans that "weren't too convinced" even about more highly rated albums like COBRA, SOUND DUST or DOTS & LOOPS (I remember both customers and owners in my ex local record shop back in Italy calling it "a disgrace" when it came out!).
In any case I don't feel apologetic at all about my review(s) and I don't regret/negate anything I have said.
I just feel that cyber has focused only on the negatives of my comments and I would like to point out that I have also made some positive remarks.

Oct 15, 2010, 10:29

jorbel
329 posts

velvetwater wrote:
I just feel that cyber has focused only on the negatives of my comments and I would like to point out that I have also made some positive remarks.

Of course! That's why I loved to read your reflections. ;-)

Oct 15, 2010, 14:51

jorbel
329 posts

Re: Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!

velvetwater wrote:
Thank you.
I understand what you are saying, jorbel.
But FFS was a "compilation" of singles (even though they were more or less released all together so it is really a kind of a hybrid compilation), whereas NOT MUSIC has been specifically described (by Tim, Laetitia and Martin) as "not a compilation of outtakes" from CHEMICAL CHORDS, but as part 2 of CC, which is not the same thing.
Had it been released as a "tour cd", as originally intended by Tim Gane, it would have been a completely different story. It would have been an "extra" and a most welcome one. It is still very welcome of course, but now, after 3 years since it was recorded, it can only be considered as a proper album. And this is how it's been marketed anyway.

Let me give you another example.
If you know JOAN AS A POLICEWOMAN, she released 2 albums so far plus a "covers" album that was only sold at her gigs.
Now, if you consider that album has her 3rd lp, you are bound to be disappointed as, however good it may be, it is certainly not as "substantial" as the previous lps, but as an extra release for the tour it is a lovely addition to any fan's collection of JOAN AS A POLICEWOMAN.

It may be a thin barrier, or just a conceptual reasonment that separates the definition of what a proper album is as opposed to a "release" of some other kind (in the end it is always music, right?), but I think that it is actually a key to evaluate an artistic endeavor of this sort whenever ones put himself in a position to do so (like in this post).
Or one could just sit down, listen and feel without expressing his opinion, or he might say "I like it" or "I don't like it". It is just a choice of a approach.

It's like you say -- at the end of the day it's just music! At least that's the way I always get it, so I don't care much about the way some opus is released or what its creators say about it. That's not the relevant part in my appreciation of music anyway. However, it's clear to me that lately (well, since Margerine Eclipse) the groop has been releasing some kind of "secondary material", not "the real thing". I don't worry too much, because I love it all! To tell you the truth, in some kind of twisted way, sometimes this sounds better to me than "the real thing" --i.e., all this recent material is full of positive energy, nothing like a "hiatusal" band would go into! :)

P.S. - I don't know about JOAN AS A POLICEWOMAN -- am I loosing something I shouldn't?

Cheers,

Jorge

Oct 15, 2010, 15:05

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Dear Jorge (are you Brazilian, Portuguese or neither?), probably yours is the right and best attitude in order to fully enjoy whatever music one listens to.
But sometimes I don't mind a more "conceptualistic" approach.
And Stereolab have always been quite conceptual.

I have finally had a chance to listen to NOT MUSIC for the second time and I have removed the remixes from the playlist: this way it already flows much better.
Certainly, like cyberpainter said, a compilation between CC and NM in order to gather the best tracks together, would make an excellent album.
As they stand though, I probably rate CC a little higher than NM.

You ask about Joan As A Policewoman, musical project of Joan Wasser.
She is american, she used to be in Anthony & The Johnson and was the girlfriend of Jeff Buckley at the time of his premature death.
She then released 2 beautiful albums (plus the covers one). A third lp is imminent.
I would definitely recommend her (although her music bare no relation to Stereolab): I think she is one of the best singer-songwriters around.
Start with this pair of beautiful songs as a starter. The first one is dedicated to Jeff Buckley.

Oct 15, 2010, 15:35

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

The previous video doesn't work properly.
Try this:

And this is to give you an idea of her more "energetic" material:

Oct 15, 2010, 15:40

jorbel
329 posts

velvetwater wrote:
Dear Jorge (are you Brazilian, Portuguese or neither?), probably yours is the right and best attitude in order to fully enjoy whatever music one listens to.
But sometimes I don't mind a more "conceptualistic" approach.
And Stereolab have always been quite conceptual.

I have finally had a chance to listen to NOT MUSIC for the second time and I have removed the remixes from the playlist: this way it already flows much better.
Certainly, like cyberpainter said, a compilation between CC and NM in order to gather the best tracks together, would make an excellent album.
As they stand though, I probably rate CC a little higher than NM.

You ask about Joan As A Policewoman, musical project of Joan Wasser.
She is american, she used to be in Anthony & The Johnson and was the girlfriend of Jeff Buckley at the time of his premature death.
She then released 2 beautiful albums (plus the covers one). A third lp is imminent.
I would definitely recommend her (although her music bare no relation to Stereolab): I think she is one of the best singer-songwriters around.
Start with this pair of beautiful songs as a starter. The first one is dedicated to Jeff Buckley.

Portuguese, velvetwater. And you?

Thanks for introducing me to JAAP. I'll certainly check it out. ; )

At the end of the day it's just music, right, but I'm also a lover of conceptualism -- and of the way the groop plays around with it!

Cheers,

Jorge

Oct 16, 2010, 20:16

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

My first impression is more positive. I think I like it more than CC, based on initial listens. I was worried about the remixes but I really like them.

Oct 16, 2010, 20:58

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index