Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Log In
-Register
Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!
Log In to post a reply
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jorbel
329 posts

Re: Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!

My first impression is that there's dreamy material to work on to here. It feels just great! :)

Oct 16, 2010, 22:23


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: First listen, first impressions.

GaryB2 wrote:
My first impression is more positive. I think I like it more than CC, based on initial listens. I was worried about the remixes but I really like them.


I think the remixes are quite good, I just don't like them inserted in a new album.

Oct 16, 2010, 23:59


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!

jorbel wrote:


Portuguese, velvetwater. And you?

Thanks for introducing me to JAAP. I'll certainly check it out. ; )

At the end of the day it's just music, right, but I'm also a lover of conceptualism -- and of the way the groop plays around with it!

Cheers,

Jorge


I am glad you will check her out, I am sure you will not be disappointed.
I am from Roma but I live in London.
I went to Lisboa last June and I loved it. Are you from there?

Oct 17, 2010, 00:03


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jorbel
329 posts

Re: Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!

velvetwater wrote:
jorbel wrote:


Portuguese, velvetwater. And you?

Thanks for introducing me to JAAP. I'll certainly check it out. ; )

At the end of the day it's just music, right, but I'm also a lover of conceptualism -- and of the way the groop plays around with it!

Cheers,

Jorge


I am glad you will check her out, I am sure you will not be disappointed.
I am from Roma but I live in London.
I went to Lisboa last June and I loved it. Are you from there?


Ah, Roma! I've never been there, but it's one of the places I always say I must visit some day.

I live very, very close to Lisboa. It's great to live here.

Oct 17, 2010, 02:06


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jorbel
329 posts

Re: Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!

And about NM, after the first listen, I wasn't disappointed -- at all. To me the groop's releases are always pretty complex to perceive, I usually need a LOT of time.

Oct 17, 2010, 02:08


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!

jorbel wrote:
And about NM, after the first listen, I wasn't disappointed -- at all. To me the groop's releases are always pretty complex to perceive, I usually need a LOT of time.


Good for you! :-)
After all I quite like it too. I am just not satisfied with the sequencing (inclusion of remixes, position of some songs) and I don't rate it as high as Stereolab's best albums.
Also, I don't see how the fans that didn't like CC could like NM. I rate CC a little higher because it has more songs and generally more attention to the arrangements.
Nevertheless I would happily swap SILVER SANDS, DAISY CLICK CLACK and NOUS VOUS DEMANDONS PARDON with SUPAH JAIANTO, DELUGEOISIE and SO IS CARDBOARD CLOUDS.
I also like AELITA.
EVERYBODY'S WEIRD, TWO FINGER SYMPHONY and SUN DEMON are ok. The rest is forgettable stuff for Stereolab's high standards.
Please eat some pasteis de nata for me!

Oct 17, 2010, 11:43


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jorbel
329 posts

Re: Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!

velvetwater wrote:

Good for you! :-)
After all I quite like it too. I am just not satisfied with the sequencing (inclusion of remixes, position of some songs) and I don't rate it as high as Stereolab's best albums.
Also, I don't see how the fans that didn't like CC could like NM. I rate CC a little higher because it has more songs and generally more attention to the arrangements.
Nevertheless I would happily swap SILVER SANDS, DAISY CLICK CLACK and NOUS VOUS DEMANDONS PARDON with SUPAH JAIANTO, DELUGEOISIE and SO IS CARDBOARD CLOUDS.
I also like AELITA.
EVERYBODY'S WEIRD, TWO FINGER SYMPHONY and SUN DEMON are ok. The rest is forgettable stuff for Stereolab's high standards.
Please eat some pasteis de nata for me!


I see what you mean. I cannot rate FFS, CC and NM as high as the groop's best recordings too. But one thing I love about these is their freshness, their sheer energy. I hope that these won't be the groop's last efforts, because I can still envision a radiant horizon full of possibilities.

Would you like somes pastéis de Belém? I can send them to you if you want. These days I don't eat much sugary foods, but yes, they're terrific.

Cheers,

Jorge

Oct 17, 2010, 13:15


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!

You might not eat sugary foods but you are very sweet at proposing to send me some pastéis de Belém!
Thank you so much but you better not, as I am trying to loose a little bit of weight.
When I went there, to the shop near the big Monastery, I ate 4 of them at once! They were still warm: soooooo nice!!!

Oct 17, 2010, 13:31


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jorbel
329 posts

Re: Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!

If you really, really want them, just drop me a line!

Or when you come here again, let me know about it -- the groop fans population around here is getting more and more rarifyed...

Oct 17, 2010, 15:17


________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!

velvetwater wrote:

I don't rate it as high as Stereolab's best albums.
Also, I don't see how the fans that didn't like CC could like NM.

We all knew it was from the same session as CC, so probably wouldn't be rated by many as highly as some earlier ones that they favor.

I like some of CC, but even for those who didn't like it at all, which I know only a couple, there are obvious differences. For me, the lack of strings is a good thing, and there's less of the regular punchy beat that I wasn't fond of. So the sound is more to my liking. And the melodies are getting stuck in my head.

I know the hard copy will be anticlimactic. But that's just the way things are now. Promos go out, it leaks. But for anyone who likes even just a little bit FFS and CC, as well as Laetitia's solo stuff, I recommend they buy this.

Oct 17, 2010, 19:13

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index