Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Simontreal
Simontreal
33 posts

Re: Got the NOT MUSIC promo cd!!!

Could someone show me a way to somewhere I could download this album while waiting to buy the cd and vinyl ?

Oct 18, 2010, 22:31

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

jorbel wrote:

Would you like somes pastéis de Belém? I can send them to you if you want. These days I don't eat much sugary foods, but yes, they're terrific.

Man, those pastéis de Belém are tasty - there is a small Portuguese community around Goldbourne Road in west London and there is a cafe called Lisboa Patisserie that does really great pastries - apart from whatever else the Portuguese have given to the World, their cakes and puddings (even the word - from 'pudim') are pure genius. Respect.

Oct 19, 2010, 10:28

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Harold Bissonette wrote:
jorbel wrote:

Would you like somes pastéis de Belém? I can send them to you if you want. These days I don't eat much sugary foods, but yes, they're terrific.

Man, those pastéis de Belém are tasty - there is a small Portuguese community around Goldbourne Road in west London and there is a cafe called Lisboa Patisserie that does really great pastries - apart from whatever else the Portuguese have given to the World, their cakes and puddings (even the word - from 'pudim') are pure genius. Respect.

This is great news!
I'll have to pay the Lisboa Patisserie a visit.
Thanks!

Oct 19, 2010, 10:38

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

Simontreal wrote:
Could someone show me a way to somewhere I could download this album while waiting to buy the cd and vinyl ?

It's on some blogs now.

Oct 19, 2010, 18:47

jorbel
330 posts

Harold Bissonette wrote:
[quote="jorbel"]

I've heard about it.

Respect indeed. We must be the country with the most varied and excellent sweet recipes in the world.

I only wish we Portuguese could value ourselves more.

Oct 20, 2010, 12:44

jeff w
jeff w
685 posts

Re: Got NOT MUSIC

So I finally cracked and "acquired" (ahem) Not Music. Someone asked me elsewhere what I thought of it so I may as well reproduce what I said here.

First of all, I think they should have stuck to "Chemical Chords 2" as the title, as this collection definitely feels like a partner album of CC.

That said, the arrangements are far simpler (stripped down). As others have noted, there are no strings at all and only one or two songs have brass. One side benefit of this though is that L's vocals are more prominent in the mix and feel more integral to the song, less detached than she often sounds on CC. A good thing, to my mind, and I'm not surprised that she prefers this collection to CC.

Cyberpainter wrote on this thread:
"I like some of CC, but even for those who didn't like it at all, there are obvious differences. For me, the lack of strings is a good thing, and there's less of the regular punchy beat that I wasn't fond of. So the sound is more to my liking. And the melodies are getting stuck in my head."

Agree with nearly all of this. I thought the strings (and brass) were the saving grace of CC, but I don't miss them here at all. And spot on about the repetitive punchy beat. There's also a lot less of the (rather irritating) watery guitar sound that is all over CC; another plus.

As for the remixes, I think they add another dimension to the record and generally feel it was a good decision to include them. In fact, in the version I've burned to CD I've put the Atlas Sound mix as track 1. It doesn't really work as a postscript but it works really well as a wrong-footing opener (cf. also the role of "Fuses" on Cobra and "Outer Bongolia" on Microbe Hunters.) Besides, as others have noted "Everybody's Weird..." is not the sort of dynamic opening track you really want. As 'track 2' after the remix, however, it's perfect.

^All this is very much early thoughts. I need to listen more, but so far so positive. :)

Oct 20, 2010, 17:59

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

Re: Got NOT MUSIC

Interesting. I love Fuses, the opener on Cobra. But the Atlas Sound track here is not the frenetic energizer that I would think would work well in that spot. I'd be inclined if I wanted to hear the album, to skip over it.

Oct 20, 2010, 19:19

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I wonder how they sound in tandem ?

Oct 20, 2010, 19:37

Eddie Chargeman
Eddie Chargeman
1576 posts

TRY IT!!! YOU ARE SO BRILLIANT!! WHY DIDN'T I THINK OF THAT! just do it

/ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
\/

Oct 20, 2010, 19:42

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index