Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Woot! My vinyl copy of Not Music arrived!
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Kazak
Kazak
1619 posts

Re: Woot! My vinyl copy of Not Music arrived!

That's weird because I thought I remember hearing that they ordered the songs that way so that a remix would close out each side of the vinyl. 2 remixes, 2 sides, 1 vinyl was my reasoning, but...guess not. Huh.

Nov 08, 2010, 12:25

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

Eddie Chargeman wrote:
no lyrics? wu-oh! I couldn't wait to read them.

i wonder if that was deliberate...

Nov 08, 2010, 18:21

DCypher
51 posts

I just finished writing down the lyrics for the new album. I'm afraid there are still a few gaps I'm having a difficult time understanding. i will wait until the official release next week and will post them here...As usual everybody's help in correcting them or making additions will be most welcome.

Nov 09, 2010, 22:40

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

Mine arrived today! =)

I wonder about the two sleeves thing, was this an artistic decision....or is it maybe just a cheaper option :P It's pretty much the same amount of materials, I don't know about the costs of these things....I quite like it anyway, it's certainly usual, and the clear vinyl is nice. As for the music, well, like many I've already familiarised myself for a couple of weeks. I completely love 4 of the songs, the rest....well, nobody was really expecting a classic, were they? Some of of it sounds not as adventurous as I was hoping for from all of the talk of it being a "night" counterpart to CC part one. I totally agree with anybody who has written on here that there is a proper brilliant album lurking within CC parts one and two....not sure of the exact tracklist yet, but I guess everybody's would be different....such is the beauty of the groop! I'm just grateful to be hearing any new stuff, and hopefully there will be more some day in the future :D

Vive le lab!

Nov 12, 2010, 00:42

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

Kazak wrote:
Wait, it's on 2 records?

It's not far off an hour long, if it was pressed on just one LP it would most likely sound awful....anything more than 50 mins crammed onto a record and it usually ends up really quiet and tinny, as more grooves need to be squeezed in. Although I do remember reading the German release of ETK was just one LP, and according to my i-tunes that's a minute longer than Not Music....I've never listened to a copy but I'd imagine it's pretty shabby sounding compared to the normal version :D

Nov 12, 2010, 00:57

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
I completely love 4 of the songs

No, five!

Everybody's Weird Except Me
Supah Jaianto
Two Finger Symphony
Delugeoisie
Sun Demon

Nov 12, 2010, 01:30

corporalclegg
corporalclegg
501 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
Kazak wrote:
Wait, it's on 2 records?

It's not far off an hour long, if it was pressed on just one LP it would most likely sound awful....anything more than 50 mins crammed onto a record and it usually ends up really quiet and tinny, as more grooves need to be squeezed in. Although I do remember reading the German release of ETK was just one LP, and according to my i-tunes that's a minute longer than Not Music....I've never listened to a copy but I'd imagine it's pretty shabby sounding compared to the normal version :D

Albums under an hour were always on one record before the whole vinyl revival.

Nov 12, 2010, 01:59

Labhead
Labhead
1868 posts

corporalclegg wrote:
cyberpainter wrote:
Is that really the shipping price?? Harsh.

I just ordered it. It comes to $33 total with shipping.

Shipping to Chicago, mine cost $39.39 total, plus my credit card chared a FOREIGN TRANSACTION FEE(Other) of $1.18.

I may have chosen a medium shipping level instead of the cheapest (I'm paranoid they'll mess it up).

Nov 12, 2010, 17:28

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

corporalclegg wrote:
Hobobachang wrote:
Kazak wrote:
Wait, it's on 2 records?

Albums under an hour were always on one record before the whole vinyl revival.

This is no doubt very true, but longer ones didn't sound the best, so the upgrade in format is welcome IMO :) Interesting little snippet on the subject here from Wikipedia....well, I found it an interesting read anyway, I didn't know this stuff! Thanks for prompting me to check it out :D

"When initially introduced, 12-inch LPs played for a maximum of 45 minutes, divided over two sides. However, in 1952, Columbia Records began to bring out extended-play LPs that played for as long as 52 minutes, or 26 minutes per side. These were used mainly for the original cast albums of some Broadway musicals, such as Kiss Me, Kate and My Fair Lady, or in order to fit an entire play, such as the 1950 production of Don Juan in Hell, onto just two LPs. The 52+ minute playing time remained rare, however, because of mastering limitations, and most LPs continued to be issued with a 30- to 45-minute playing time throughout the lifetime of their production. However, some albums would eventually exceed even the 52-minute limitation, with single albums going to as long as ninety minutes in the case of Arthur Fiedler's 1976 LP 90 Minutes with Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops, made by Radio Shack. However, such records had to be cut with much narrower spacing between the grooves, which allowed for a much smaller amount of dynamic range on the records, and meant that playing the record with a worn needle could damage the record. It also resulted in a much quieter sound. (Other notably long albums included the UK version of The Rolling Stones' Aftermath; La Monte Young's Dream House 78' 17", whose two sides were each just under 40 minutes; Bob Dylan's 1976 album Desire, with side two being just shy of thirty minutes; Brian Eno's 1975 album Discreet Music, whose A-side exceeded thirty minutes; and Todd Rundgren's Initiation, totalling 67:32 over two sides). Spoken word and comedy albums, not having a wide range of musical instrumentation to reproduce, can be cut with much narrower spacing between the grooves; for example, The Comic Strip, released by Springtime Records in 1981, has a Side A lasting 38:04 and a Side B lasting 31:08, for a total of 69:12."

Nov 12, 2010, 21:44

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2143 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
I totally agree with anybody who has written on here that there is a proper brilliant album lurking within CC parts one and two....not sure of the exact tracklist yet, but I guess everybody's would be different....such is the beauty of the groop!

This is where I am at with that so far :)

Nov 12, 2010, 21:46

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index