Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Great Indie-rock albums of the 90s, you might not know
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

corporalclegg
corporalclegg
501 posts

Re: Great Indie-rock albums of the 90s, you might not know

hito wrote:
It is hard to say in some ways:

a) there are the records that I think are well known that may be nonexistent to some out there. No attack on corporalclegg but I think of Sebadoh as well known where others may not have heard of them.

b) stuff that still holds up verses great examples of nineties music. For example, I played some Faith no more to some younger people who liked stuff which I reckon was 90% influenced by it but they just shrugged. On the other hand, I think stereolab still holds strong today and if they released Dots and Loops tomorrow people would like it.

c) what is "indie rock"? Is it sebadoh but not dinosaur jr? Is it Janes addiction but not soundgarden? I guess I will just say music that I like that doesn't get much of a mention these days:

Bongwater - Too much sleep (for psychadelic, eclectic tunes)
Cows - Sexy Pee Story (grunge rock with a twist)
John Frusciante - Niandra LaDes and Usually Just A T.shirt (an acquired taste)
Mercury Rev - Boces and Yerself is Steam (infinitely better than the stuff that made them popular)
Swervedriver - Raise (perhaps the best of the shoegazer, swirling guitars, wall of noise rock records)
nomeansno - The worldhood of the world as such (Devo with more oomph and nineties sensibilities)
Divine Comedy - Promenade (witty)
Luna - Pup Tent (truly beautiful)
Dismemberment Plan - Emergency and I (beautiful)
Polvo - Exploded Drawing (jagged, clever and probably closest to the indie rock category)

I could go on all day....

Nice post, no offence. Great list! Who knows?...if it's good music, I like it. You have a lot of bands listed I was going to post like Bongwater (Kramer is a great guy) and Divine Comedy, Swervedriver etc...and we can't forget about Mercury Rev. All we need is Papa Sprain on that list.

Nov 09, 2010, 01:34

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

calapia
calapia
252 posts

Shudder To Think - Pony Express Record

Nov 09, 2010, 03:06

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

hito wrote:

Mercury Rev - Boces and Yerself is Steam

Well, people actually know those. But fewer people know their best album, See You on the Other Side

Nov 09, 2010, 03:24

hito
hito
1745 posts

Cheeso wrote:
hito wrote:

Mercury Rev - Boces and Yerself is Steam

Well, people actually know those. But fewer people know their best album, See You on the Other Side

Well, It's hard to know what people know about a record from nearly 20 years ago. I don't see them around much but all that squeaky voiced stuff from later in their career is around.
I agree that see you on the other side is a lost gem. It kind of came and went without much fanfare. It kind of sits between the two phases (the good phase with David Baker and Susan Thorpe and whatever came after it. It is the last one thorpe played on and I think her input is sorely missed.
Thanks for bringing it up, Cheeso. It is well worth remembering, so much so that i just put it on.

Nov 09, 2010, 04:32

Eddie Chargeman
Eddie Chargeman
1576 posts

I didn't listen to "Indie" music from '92' to '97 (yay GAWD!) you go! i nominate stereolab and Ween. not very indie. but as I said I didn't listen to music for a long time. I didn't go to college, and I had been exposed to 1/2 classical 1/2 jazz catalogue , pop music, new wave, pop etc. musicals, classical music now being my preference like many people. ?I did get exposed to a lot of different music. It's not all Xanadu-time. but there's always endless, timeless logs of human noise and rest.

Nov 09, 2010, 05:00

Eddie Chargeman
Eddie Chargeman
1576 posts

also sitting in orchestra pits and watching the show. big band. a lot of big band. Jimmy Dorsey, Lawrence Welk Show in the '70's , whole saturday night line up.

hee haw
muppets
wild kingdom
Jacques Cousteau
Lawrence Welk
the Hardy Boys

(snicks)

then my Ragtime obsession. playing piano and reciting rag pieces.

battles hymns.
per capita caw saw am/pm bc/ad anno dommino...a et o...et et et cetera...

blah-ME!! my experience. YOURS???

me-more to learn.

you??

Nov 09, 2010, 05:09

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

You can kind of tell by their chart listing. Boces was top 50, See You...was lower and YIS even lower still.

And I totally agree on the Susan Thorpe thing, they were a much better band with her in the lineup.

Nov 09, 2010, 05:40

corporalclegg
corporalclegg
501 posts

The whole "Indie" term is bullshit when it comes right down to it. People love to classify music that doesn't need to be classified. "alternative, shoegaze, dream pop, dark wave, no wave, new wave, new romantic, new age". All of this stuff is Rock / Pop. Unless your talking about Tommy Dorsey and such.

Nov 09, 2010, 05:53

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

meanchico wrote:
Helium - The Dirt of Luck

Oh yeah! I have a lot of Mary Timony's albums. Some thought she was just a novelty, but I liked it all up to a certain point. Maybe the last thing I liked was The Magic City. After that, eh.

Other stuff I liked back then that's held up is the first couple Luscious Jackson albums, all Throwing Muses, but I guess they're both more well known...
Versus- The Stars are Insane (Most of their others I could take or leave, but that one I played over and over.)

Nov 09, 2010, 06:02

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

cyberpainter wrote:

Versus- The Stars are Insane (Most of their others I could take or leave, but that one I played over and over.)

Listening now since I haven't for many years, to see if I hate it or still like it. :)

Nov 09, 2010, 06:05

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index