Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
All killer, no filler
Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

All killer, no filler

Okay, I have given Not Music a go and it is not good (sorry, meanchico). It is not bad either. It is just not that refreshing and original. Anyway, I know people like it and the purpose of this thread is not just to bag it.

Now I know this has all been said before but just to give some background. I - along with other members of this forum - have said that Stereolab have not done anything that great since Mary's death nearly 8 years ago. I say that Sound Dust was the last great record (and it is great) and the end of a run of at least 5 brilliant albums. Now the failure of Stereolab to produce anything that I think is brilliant may be because:

· Mary died leaving a void
· I had just had enough of Stereolab by that stage
· they have run out of ideas
· the loss of so many instruments over the years has limited their sound
· I haven’t given them a real go

Now it is the last point that leads me to post this post. Perhaps I just need to be led to the gold. Maybe I get put off by all the songs going “jank, jank, jank, jank, jank, jank, jank” when after the seemingly endless “jank, jank, jank, jank, jank, jank, jank” there is something subtle like “nought more terrific than man” just waiting to be found.

So here is the challenge, if you choose to accept it. Produce a “best of” for the period after Mary. Now, my guidelines would be:

· No tracks that were made prior to her death but just weren’t released (no Oscillons).
· No remixes where external input is a key factor (e.g. Atlas Sound). We want Stereolab.
· Try to find unique or original songs that would justify them continuing as a band (Is the end of Aelita one of their other songs?). Workmanlike efforts are not enough to justify their continuation in my books.
· I recommend about 10 tracks. Try to be succinct. Remember, it should be all killer, no filler just like Dots and Loops.
· You can include long tracks; it is not just about singles. Still, keep it about an hour if you can
· Try to list the song title and album (code will do e.g. CC if the album is well known). I plan to put together playlists on Winamp and listen.

Now I really am approaching this with an open mind. I am here at the forum because I love Stereolab but I just want to be won over with their later efforts. So see what you can do. Produce an album worth of gold.

If you want a gimme, Le Demeure is a good song so that means you only have to come up with nine more. And don’t bother with Neon Beanbag or Silver Sands and its “jank, jank, jank, jank, jank, jank, jank”

Nov 10, 2010, 08:00

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5924 posts

Re: All killer, no filler

I don't see the point for others to try to convince you that they have produced some good songs/albums after Mary's death. You should just decide for yourself and like what you like. A mix should have the songs that you personally like. It seems like a somewhat pointless exercise. Personally, I love Margerine Eclipse, I think it's got a lot of depth and complexity. FFS was happy music to me, and especially enjoying seeing them play it live. Not Music has some good songs. I also think the Copacabana soundtrack sounds like it will be interesting, and like Laetitia's solo efforts too. So good luck buzz killer, with all killer no filler. ;)

Nov 10, 2010, 08:44

hito
hito
1745 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
I don't see the point for others to try to convince you that they have produced some good songs/albums after Mary's death. You should just decide for yourself and like what you like. A mix should have the songs that you personally like. It seems like a somewhat pointless exercise. Personally, I love Margerine Eclipse, I think it's got a lot of depth and complexity. FFS was happy music to me, and especially enjoying seeing them play it live. Not Music has some good songs. I also think the Copacabana soundtrack sounds like it will be interesting, and like Laetitia's solo efforts too. So good luck buzz killer, with all killer no filler. ;)

Read the post again, Muhammad Ali.

Nov 10, 2010, 09:51

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

hito wrote:
cyberpainter wrote:

Ditto what Cyberpainter said

Nov 10, 2010, 11:07

hito
hito
1745 posts

Harold Bissonette wrote:
hito wrote:
cyberpainter wrote:

Ditto what Cyberpainter said

Well, Ditto what I said to Cyberpainter. Read the bloody post.

Nov 10, 2010, 11:12

hito
hito
1745 posts

FAQ

Cyberpainter: I don't see the point for others to try to convince you that they have produced some good songs/albums after Mary's death.

Me already : So here is the challenge, if you choose to accept it.

Cyberpainter: You should just decide for yourself and like what you like. A mix should have the songs that you personally like. It seems like a somewhat pointless exercise.

Me already: Perhaps I just need to be led to the gold. Maybe I get put off by all the songs ... there is something subtle like “nought more terrific than man” just waiting to be found.

Me now to clarify: Have you ever made a mix for somebody else? Why? Was it to switch them on to some good tunes? Was it pointless?

Cyberpainter: So good luck buzz killer.

Me already: Anyway, I know people like it and the purpose of this thread is not just to bag it...Now I really am approaching this with an open mind. I am here at the forum because I love Stereolab

Cyberpainter: Personally, I love Margerine Eclipse, I think it's got a lot of depth and complexity. FFS was happy music to me, and especially enjoying seeing them play it live. Not Music has some good songs. I also think the Copacabana soundtrack sounds like it will be interesting, and like Laetitia's solo efforts too.

Me already: Produce a “best of” for the period after Mary.

Nov 10, 2010, 11:26

flatironsteak
flatironsteak
341 posts

Silver sands and Neon Beanbag are good. I can't compare them to the great songs from their past but they are decent. I do not have a problem with the 'jank jank' sound, knowing that CC and NE were all recorded around the same period. The Mary's void is very obvious and it is a huge reason why they haven't sounded as good as they used to.

You can say that I started expecting less from them after FFS (I love Kyberneticka Babicka though), but some of the songs on CC and NE fit my mood some time. I like the uplifting quality and straight-forwardness of it. They might be less subtle but they are also quite different.

I absolutely agree with you on SD being the last great album they made. But honestly, even in the lowest( in my opinion, FFS), the songs are still rather unique in their own ways and I can still get into some of them.

It could be my habit of listening to Stereolab that affects the way I look at their newer works. I usually mix them all up without worrying what album they are in, their post-Mary stuff make very nice addictions to the rest of their music.

But yea the last part of Aelita does sound like part of the Refraction in the Plasctic Pulse.

Nov 10, 2010, 11:49

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: FAQ

I know what you are feeling hito!
I have been there before.
Talking (in this case writing) is quite easy, but truly communicating (or being understood if you prefer) is not!

Cyber, bless her good intentions, has a tendency to be a bit of a paladin/champion when somebody else criticizes our beloved Groop.
She raises even valid points (I particularly agree with the appreciation of MARGERINE ECLIPSE), but they are irrelevantly defensive or directly misunderstands what hito asked.

Nov 10, 2010, 11:55

flatironsteak
flatironsteak
341 posts

I immediately fell in love with Naught More Terrific Than Man when I started listening to SD ( along with Nothing To Do With Me and Hallucinex being my favorite in SD at the beginning)
To me they are more catchy and easy going than subtle.

Nov 10, 2010, 11:59

matthew6
matthew6
1897 posts

Re: FAQ

Jaunty Monty and the Bubbles Of Silence and ...Sudden Stars are two if the most beautiful songs I've ever heard.... slum dunk masterpieces...

Valley Hi is filled with Beatlesque hooks

Kyberneika Babicka or however you spell it is inventive and catchy

Need to Be - outstanding track...

Nov 10, 2010, 12:25

Pages: 7 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index