Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
All killer, no filler
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: FAQ 3: please read the original post

MY RETURN: There's only a struggle if you want there to be. You either like something or you don't- no real persuasion needed. Yes, it's sort of that simple. :)

Me already: Have you ever made a mix for somebody else? Why? Was it to switch them on to some good tunes? Was it pointless?

Nov 11, 2010, 05:40

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: FAQ 3: please read the original post

Calapia: Hey - if you answered everything in your first post, why bother listening to anyone? If you came to have a discussion, discuss,

(Please note the following as evidence of discussion. Note how the points made are new, lack allegations of narrowmindedness [at least meanchico asked] and keep the discussion moving forwards)

meanchico: Margerine Eclipse and Instant O were excluded since these were mostly composed prior to Mary's unfortunate death.

me: I did not know that Mary worked on those records (instant o and margerine). Does she perform on them?

meanchico: but shit, Hito. I can't really tell if you're trolling for personal amusement or genuinely interested in discussing music

me: Thanks for doing a list meanchico. I will give it a go.

Eddie Chargeman: what I will say is that I did enjoy 4 songs on ME and all songs on Instant IZIU

me: I just listened to Instant O again. It is actually quite good in parts. Cheers

Calapia: If you came to be condescending and pedantic, keep on going.

Me already: Please stop complaining.

calapia: If you just wanted a list of top 10 post Sound Dust songs, just ask for it directly.

me already: For those cranky and precious Heathers who struggle with extended preambles, just imagine (not the sarcasm - ed.)

Nov 11, 2010, 05:56

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: All killa. No filla.

GaryB2 wrote:
From ME-era onwards, but not including NM.

1. Spool Of Collusion

2. L Exotisme Interieur

3. Vonal Declosion

4. Whisper Pitch

5. University Microfilms International

6. The Nth Degrees

7. Kyberneticka Babicka pt1

8. La Demeure

9. Need To Be

10. Dear Marge

10 songs. 42 minutes.

Thanks, Gary. I don't have tracks 1, 2 and 5 though. What album / release are they on?

Nov 11, 2010, 06:13

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: All killer, no filler

MY RETURN wrote:

I love Instant 0, from start to finish. Margerine seemed like a rehash. That's probably why I didn't embrace it.

I just enjoyed "Dear Marge" on Gary's list and "Vonal Declusion" is quite good too. I am not sold on the whole record but I guess these two tracks (plus La Demeure) at least make a good EP.

Nov 11, 2010, 06:21

hito
hito
1745 posts

Never mind, Soulseek to the rescue. So spool of collusion is a bonus bonus track. My CC has 16 tracks, the offical release has 14 and now 17.

Not sure where the other two tracks come from.

Nov 11, 2010, 06:44

GaryB2
GaryB2
2325 posts

Did you get all the songs?

Tell me you got all the songs!!

Nov 11, 2010, 06:57

hito
hito
1745 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
Did you get all the songs?

Tell me you got all the songs!!

I got all the songs

Nov 11, 2010, 09:40

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

hito wrote:
Harold Bissonette wrote:
hito wrote:
cyberpainter wrote:
I don't see the point for others to try to convince you that they have produced some good songs/albums after Mary's death. You should just decide for yourself and like what you like. A mix should have the songs that you personally like. It seems like a somewhat pointless exercise. Personally, I love Margerine Eclipse, I think it's got a lot of depth and complexity. FFS was happy music to me, and especially enjoying seeing them play it live. Not Music has some good songs. I also think the Copacabana soundtrack sounds like it will be interesting, and like Laetitia's solo efforts too. So good luck buzz killer, with all killer no filler. ;)

Read the post again, Muhammad Ali.

Ditto what Cyberpainter said

Well, Ditto what I said to Cyberpainter. Read the bloody post.

Yes, I did read the post.

All I can say is that, unlike quite a few people on this forum, I find the last few groop albums really good and exciting musically pretty much throughout. I've no idea what it is that you are not getting about their later music. Of course we all miss Mary's input, but things move on.

Nov 11, 2010, 12:26

GaryB2
GaryB2
2325 posts

Harold Bissonette wrote:

All I can say is that, unlike quite a few people on this forum, I find the last few groop albums really good and exciting musically pretty much throughout. I've no idea what it is that you are not getting about their later music. Of course we all miss Mary's input, but things move on.

Agreed.

Nov 11, 2010, 15:19

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

I think these are some stand-outs of the post-Mary era:

Instant O in the Universe--JM&the Bubbles of Silence
Margerine Eclipse--Bop Scotch, La Demeure, Dear Marge
Fab4Suture--Excursions into 'oh,a-oh', Eye of the Volcano
CC--Pop Molecule, Cellulose Sunshine

Since my introduction to Stereolab in 2008 and during my evolution of listening to the groop it has always been difficult to pick favorites as I like most every song. After extensive exposure to all of their albums now and after some brief reflective periods while not listening to Stereolab, I now find that I tend to gravitate to the ETK through S-D era, OOTAS and the ABC radio sessions. It is rare that I listen to anything else released after S-D.
Regarding Mary, as with any team whether it be in sports or music or at the workplace, the whole reflects the combined input of all team members. We are not certain exactly what that input was, but I do not believe that Tim & Laetitia called all the shots and the other team members just stood and performed their assigned tasks.
What I see missing in the post-Mary era is a certain soulfulness , that is, that misty quality where you feel like you are on a mind journey while listening to the music. Dots and Loops and Sound-Dust really has this quality and I love it so much. Stereolab music since then is like Tim mechanically and creatively putting together pieces of music, but without the soulfulness, but.. good for dancing!

Nov 11, 2010, 16:18

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index