Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
All killer, no filler
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jorbel
330 posts

Re: All killer, no filler

jauntymonty wrote:
jorbel wrote:
jauntymonty wrote:
I think these are some stand-outs of the post-Mary era:

Instant O in the Universe--JM&the Bubbles of Silence
Margerine Eclipse--Bop Scotch, La Demeure, Dear Marge
Fab4Suture--Excursions into 'oh,a-oh', Eye of the Volcano
CC--Pop Molecule, Cellulose Sunshine

Since my introduction to Stereolab in 2008 and during my evolution of listening to the groop it has always been difficult to pick favorites as I like most every song. After extensive exposure to all of their albums now and after some brief reflective periods while not listening to Stereolab, I now find that I tend to gravitate to the ETK through S-D era, OOTAS and the ABC radio sessions. It is rare that I listen to anything else released after S-D.
Regarding Mary, as with any team whether it be in sports or music or at the workplace, the whole reflects the combined input of all team members. We are not certain exactly what that input was, but I do not believe that Tim & Laetitia called all the shots and the other team members just stood and performed their assigned tasks.
What I see missing in the post-Mary era is a certain soulfulness , that is, that misty quality where you feel like you are on a mind journey while listening to the music. Dots and Loops and Sound-Dust really has this quality and I love it so much. Stereolab music since then is like Tim mechanically and creatively putting together pieces of music, but without the soulfulness, but.. good for dancing!

Just wanted to say I love the way you see it. I don't agree since I always perceive an interplay of soulfulness and soulflessness in the groops' music, but I love it anyway. It all sounds very much like architecture to me.

Thanks.
Actually I agree with that. My comments here are somewhat condensed due to time restraints.
Architecture, yes..as the bass and percussion provide a deep solid foundation. The repetitive strokes being the structural colonnade denoting a long sequence of columnnotes joined by their entablature. The melody of the musical instruments, each one a brightly colored energy filled conduit meandering high and low through the structure. The resulting wall of sound forms a fašade of multicolored crystal glazing, not clear, (reference to Laetitia lyrics) but translucent providing just glimpse of the real meaning. You forgot your boots, so, I will stop here.

Wow, this is pure genious! :)

Although I sense this wall of sound as a wall really, opaque, that is. Made of concrete and void, like a bridge were a train passes.

Nov 12, 2010, 18:57

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

MY RETURN
1963 posts

Re: FAQ 3: please read the original post

I got you the first time. The way this forums downloads, I encourage full purchases. lol :D

Nov 12, 2010, 22:19

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

Who gives a shit?

Nov 12, 2010, 22:31

hito
hito
1745 posts

jauntymonty wrote:
I think these are some stand-outs of the post-Mary era:

Instant O in the Universe--JM&the Bubbles of Silence
Margerine Eclipse--Bop Scotch, La Demeure, Dear Marge
Fab4Suture--Excursions into 'oh,a-oh', Eye of the Volcano
CC--Pop Molecule, Cellulose Sunshine

Since my introduction to Stereolab in 2008 and during my evolution of listening to the groop it has always been difficult to pick favorites as I like most every song. After extensive exposure to all of their albums now and after some brief reflective periods while not listening to Stereolab, I now find that I tend to gravitate to the ETK through S-D era, OOTAS and the ABC radio sessions. It is rare that I listen to anything else released after S-D.
Regarding Mary, as with any team whether it be in sports or music or at the workplace, the whole reflects the combined input of all team members. We are not certain exactly what that input was, but I do not believe that Tim & Laetitia called all the shots and the other team members just stood and performed their assigned tasks.
What I see missing in the post-Mary era is a certain soulfulness , that is, that misty quality where you feel like you are on a mind journey while listening to the music. Dots and Loops and Sound-Dust really has this quality and I love it so much. Stereolab music since then is like Tim mechanically and creatively putting together pieces of music, but without the soulfulness, but.. good for dancing!

Thanks for a great read and the list. It is an interesting take on the later stereolab. I am glad you get to say it without the Heathers attacking you. I wonder whether many artists end up being a bit mechanical when they keep making records. I guess what martian says about peaking rings somewhat true with me (although I disagree about the smiths being the best and think Stereolab - like the Beatles- did not peak early but took some time to hit their stride).
Having said that, contrary to the bizarre rants of the Heathers, I genuinely started this thread to get some good ideas about the music. I would have to say that of the recommended songs, Dear Marge probably hits the highest peak as far as being creative and different. It is funny that even after the discussion between meanchico and stereo mouse, I can see how Mary would have fitted into the song. I would have to say Gary's list was pretty much all good and I am enjoying giving it a few goes to really make a decision about whether it is all killer.
I haven't had much time to explore all of the recommendations but it has been great to get some favourite tunes. The discovery of so much music from 5, 10, 15, 40 years ago has filled much of my time. I suppose in this day and age, with 20000 songs on my computer, I get a bit more picky than I would have been 10 years ago and feel that a record has to interest me or I'll switch to something else. So ten years ago, I spent 30 bucks on a CD once a month and felt I had to plough through it to get my money's worth. As some who are beside themselves have noted, it is lazy of me to ask for your selections but for those who did not vomit with rage, thanks for the efforts.
As some have pointed out, maybe I am just over the peak of my stereolab journey but it is probably just that they have to do more to excite me (well, of course they don't have to). I know I like what Broadcast, Merrill Garbus, Ariel Pink and others are doing more than what Stereolab is doing (and to those who feel hurt by this, I am genuinely sorry that I annoy you) but this thread has helped me open my ears to some great Stereolab stuff.
I guess the other final thing to consider is that I am only just discovering aluminium tunes. This compilation has some awesome material on it and it has hit my "peak period" eardrums in ways that the newer stuff has not. Rest assured, I like Stereolab, love Stereolab and will not be at the "not music" record burning organised by the local church.

Nov 13, 2010, 11:24

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: FAQ

velvetwater wrote:
I know what you are feeling hito!
I have been there before.
Talking (in this case writing) is quite easy, but truly communicating (or being understood if you prefer) is not!

Cyber, bless her good intentions, has a tendency to be a bit of a paladin/champion when somebody else criticizes our beloved Groop.
She raises even valid points (I particularly agree with the appreciation of MARGERINE ECLIPSE), but they are irrelevantly defensive or directly misunderstands what hito asked.

Ah, many of us know how the Heathers can be. Thanks for being a cool, calm and considered poster.
I am sure cyberpainter appreciates margerine eclipse. I don't disagree with anyone's take on the music. How can I say to anyone "You don't like lemonade" or "you do like rye bread"? Everyone has the right to express a preference. I think the problem was people thinking that I started this thread just to shit on their picnic. Whilst this may be some net nerd's idea of fun, I have better things to do, as my posts here in this thread have demonstrated.
I don't know whether some people don't understand or are simply disingenuous creators of straw men. I think I have said "stop complaining" enough now not to bother responding. There are enough good posts here to make the mudslingers redundant.

Nov 13, 2010, 11:40

hito
hito
1745 posts

Thanks for the post, Matthew. I played your selections, minus the ones already on other lists. I think I am 180 degrees on Instant O

Nov 13, 2010, 11:41

hito
hito
1745 posts

Stereo Mouse wrote:
Let's see:

1. Rose My Rocket Brain (2004 tour single) - a great epic track with return to rock and guitar styles characteristic of their earlier work, considering the mellowness of their previous albums. But of course, whether you think this song is really epic and grand or just "eh" depends on your opinion of the more guitar-based end of Stereolab's music. I say, rock on, Tim!

2. Sudden Stars (I0itU/ME) - Stereolab goes on even without Mary and does it so beautifully! It's a nice blend of early and mid-period Lab styles and again, a little bit more guitar in the mix, esp. the delicious kraut-interlude in the middle. I was psyched when I first heard this song and still one of their best songs, not just post-Mary.

3. Jaunty Monty and the Bubbles (I0itU) - It's another great example how a band struck by tragedy rebounds! After recording a rather morose and downbeat "Sound Dust" album, they immediately return with more uptempo groovy material despite losing a key member and a dear friend. Great groove in there.

4. Kyberneticka Babycka (Fab Four Suture) - I think I can sort of see why some people think post-Mary Lab is underwhelming: the music they'd since been recording has not been quite as experimental as previous works had been. It's more pop really. This two-part composition from otherwise mediocre FFS semi-compilation is an exception: Brian Wilson goes Koyaanisqatsi? ;)

5. Whisper Pitch (FFS) - one of their finest slow songs, it's got a genuinely touching sad melody to it and Laetitia never fails to come up with her trademark warm humanistic compassion.

6. Pop Molecule (CC) - Stereolab delivers an uncharacteristically fuzzy psych-instrumental, obviously influenced by Pierre Henry's legendary "Psyche Rock", but not a rip-off nor anything. I wish there was more material like this, cause I really dig this entire psych angle. Obviously I'm quite a hippie.

7. Vortical Phonotheque (CC) - you should like it, it's very Sound Dust-esque. Also reminding me of Beatles a tad.

8. The Nth Degree (CC bonus track) - One of the Groop's finest disco-groove based tracks. Great vibraphone and do I detect a quote from "Fluorescences" here and there? ;)

9. "So Is Cardboard Clouds" (Not Music) - This is quite a complex piece actually, especially in terms of instrumentation, love the hypnotic piano and the floating organ especially. And the ending is quite epic in the "Kyberneticka Babycka" way!

10. "Delugeoisie" (NM, please forgive me the possibly incorrect spelling) - You should pay attention to the structure of this piece, which is like a miniature version of "Gus the Mynah Bird": a short Reich-esque intro first, followed by mysterious waltz song, ending with underwater ambiance in the instrumentation and overall sound.

So there you go! Whether you like any of my suggested pieces, but at least as you can see, I put a lot of effort into the list. :)

You certainly put a big effort in here to sell your selections. I am giving it a go now. I have to download rose my rocket brain. I think I like the second Kyberneticka Babycka better. I agree about Vortical Phonotheque being Beatlesque more than Sound Dust.
You know the thing that doesn't always get a mention about Sound Dust is the horns. The horns are awesome on Sound dust. Are there any great horn tracks post SD?
Thanks for giving the info about Mary and Margerine Eclipse too. I reckon I can really detect her possible inclusion in parts.
I will reply when I have pounded my ears with your choices a bit more.

Nov 13, 2010, 11:56

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2134 posts

hito wrote:
Ah, many of us know how the Heathers can be

Uh, not really. Heathers?
Must be an American thing

Nov 13, 2010, 13:22

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

hito wrote:

Ah, many of us know how the Heathers can be. Thanks for being a cool, calm and considered poster.
I am sure cyberpainter appreciates margerine eclipse. I don't disagree with anyone's take on the music. How can I say to anyone "You don't like lemonade" or "you do like rye bread"? Everyone has the right to express a preference. I think the problem was people thinking that I started this thread just to shit on their picnic. Whilst this may be some net nerd's idea of fun, I have better things to do, as my posts here in this thread have demonstrated.
I don't know whether some people don't understand or are simply disingenuous creators of straw men. I think I have said "stop complaining" enough now not to bother responding. There are enough good posts here to make the mudslingers redundant.

Supercilious [ˌsuːpəˈsɪlɪəs]
adj.
Disdainful; having or showing arrogant superiority to and disdain of those one views as unworthy, coolly and patronizingly haughty.

[Latin superciliōsus, from supercilium, eyebrow, pride : super-, super- + cilium, lower eyelid.]

Nov 13, 2010, 13:28

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2134 posts

hito wrote:
Are there any great horn tracks post SD?

"Supah Jaianto" has great horn arrangements I think.

I also enjoy the bits in "Eye of the Volcano", but I think that might just be Laetitia's trombone double tracked in places, rather than a full horn section?

Nov 13, 2010, 13:29

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index