Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
All killer, no filler
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Re: All killer, no filler

Hobobachang wrote:
hito wrote:
Are there any great horn tracks post SD?

"Supah Jaianto" has great horn arrangements I think.

I also enjoy the bits in "Eye of the Volcano", but I think that might just be Laetitia's trombone double tracked in places, rather than a full horn section?

Second "Jaianto". I would also say:

"Self Portrait with the 'Electric Brain'" - really nice and jazzy, they certainly add spice to what may be a throwaway track. "Three Women", I know some of you probably think it's not that great, but the horns kill on this one.

Actually, Laetitia does not play any brass on FFS. It's all played by Joe Walters being teamed up with session horn players. But FFS, even though it's my least favorite, has anyway loads of horns, as do Chemical and Not Music. It's Margerine Eclipse that is spiked of horns altogether, 'cept for Laetitia's lone trombone contribution for Lab ever, "Margerine Melodie".

Nov 13, 2010, 18:24

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

MY RETURN
1963 posts

Marge, ep version

You're right. Hooray. We agree. lol

There was a thread last week about Mass Riff vs. Dear Marge. I liked the Mass Riff version better.

Nov 13, 2010, 21:56

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

i finally got to reading this post today and i must say that i throw my hat in w/ hito.

no more “jank, jank, jank, jank, jank, jank, janking”!

Nov 14, 2010, 00:32

k.
k.
407 posts

Totally agree with you about those first 4 tracks on your list, they are excellent. And # 7, "Vortical Phonoteque". Really, I dig the whole Instant Zero and 2004 Tour EPs, and most of Margerine. CC actually had a handful of songs which I quite liked, "Nous vous demandons pardon", "Cellulose Sunshine" and to an extent "Valley Hi!" Haven't yet found anything on Not Music to latch onto, except maybe that Emperor Machine remix of "Silver Sands", which is probably the strongest track on the album, afaic.

Nov 15, 2010, 19:34

corporalclegg
corporalclegg
501 posts

Re: Marge, ep version

MY RETURN wrote:
You're right. Hooray. We agree. lol

There was a thread last week about Mass Riff vs. Dear Marge. I liked the Mass Riff version better.

I love both versions but Dear Marge always wins out for me. I always thought that the Dear Marge version was gold for ending Margerine Eclipse.

Nov 15, 2010, 23:43

argylecover
35 posts

Ugh! How will I ever track "Magne Music" down again...had it, lost it, suck at filesharing, wahhhh...

Nov 16, 2010, 02:03

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

YouTube to the rescue...

Nov 16, 2010, 07:55

hito
hito
1745 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
hito wrote:
Are there any great horn tracks post SD?

"Supah Jaianto" has great horn arrangements I think.

I also enjoy the bits in "Eye of the Volcano", but I think that might just be Laetitia's trombone double tracked in places, rather than a full horn section?

Thanks for Supah Jaianto. It is a great song. And as for the horn / trombone thing, I meant any brass in my original reference so this song gets in regardless.

Nov 18, 2010, 12:17

rufus
rufus
82 posts

"All killer, no filler"

I love that saying. I remember hearing it back in the nineties by some record executive. It is weird but it really made me think about the makeup of so many records, the second side of so many pop vinyl releases was often just bland stuff that you wouldn't switch the record for.

Nov 18, 2010, 12:58

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index