Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Joao Donato "A Bad Donato" - Dots and Loops of 1971?
Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Joao Donato "A Bad Donato" - Dots and Loops of 1971?

I've been listening to this Joao Donato album from 1971 and is this where Stereolab copped most of its sound replete with Brazilian beats, cheesy combo organ (often with a wah pedal) and dominant brass arrangements for their late 90s work? I could swear the odd-time groove of "Cadà Jodel (The Beautiful One)" was lifted for "Parsec" and it's likely that it's confirmed in one of these Stereolab Origins YouTubes. Anyone else familiar with this record?

Here's a sample:

Nov 17, 2010, 21:04

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

Re: Joao Donato

Wow! That is good. Listen to that bass workin. Further investigation on Joao Donato required. Thanks for posting.

Okay, as far as more alleged plagiarism I donít think so. Same instrumental sounds and similar styles, but nothing more. Dots and Loops is compliment to what Joao did, not a copy.

Nov 17, 2010, 21:36

MY RETURN
1963 posts

Great Shaft theme

I didn't see that much of a connection. But playing it, it's like Richard Roundtree is fixing to walk in or Dolemite.

Nov 17, 2010, 21:47

musicforeels
musicforeels
520 posts

Stereo Mouse wrote:
I've been listening to this Joao Donato album from 1971 and is this where Stereolab copped most of its sound replete with Brazilian beats, cheesy combo organ (often with a wah pedal) and dominant brass arrangements for their late 90s work? I could swear the odd-time groove of "Cadà Jodel (The Beautiful One)" was lifted for "Parsec" and it's likely that it's confirmed in one of these Stereolab Origins YouTubes. Anyone else familiar with this record?

Here's a sample:

not familiar with it, but would very much like to be. sounds hot.

not sure there's any one particular lp that inspired dots & loops - the main chord sequence from miss modular, for example, is basically amore come dolore by ennio morricone and brakhage is move on up by curtis mayfield.

sonically, there's stuff from all over the shop. i remember tim gane saying that they'd been listening to squarepusher and brazillian funk and you can definitely hear a lot of that in there, but maybe he was citing them to quell the old "krautrock rhythms" standby that journalists continue to use when taking about the 'lab (despite it being largely irrelevant for much of the last decade).

the more library and soundtrack records i buy, the more i think i hear their influence on stereolab. not sure if they actually were inspired by them though. i'm rambling now. i'll shut up.

Nov 17, 2010, 23:13

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I've been looking for tis artist. I have a cd but it's a dance cd it's good I like it. I play it. I was trying to order Joao Donato bot I got this Portguese cha cha samba hokem and it's great I like it a lot. it's called , I think " Cha Dacante..." wait... brb.

Nov 17, 2010, 23:28

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

yeah, "cha' dancante"
{e seu conjunto}

Nov 17, 2010, 23:33

jorbel
330 posts

Wow, cheer energy.

Although I'm Portuguese, I don't know that much about Brazillian music, but I know that there are a million hidden treasures like this.

Any connoisseurs here in the forum?

Nov 18, 2010, 02:04

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

damn, that's sweet.

Nov 18, 2010, 03:12

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

jorbel wrote:
Wow, cheer energy.

Although I'm Portuguese, I don't know that much about Brazillian music, but I know that there are a million hidden treasures like this.

I raise my hand!
If you need help with CAETANO VELOSO, GAL COSTA, JORGE BEN, GILBERTO GIL, NARA LEAO, TOM ZE, OS MUTANTES, ELIS REGINA, MARCOS VALLE, EDU LOBO, MARIA BETHANIA, MILTON NASCIMENTO and his CLUBE DA ESQUINA's friends, JOYCE, ASTRUD GILBERTO, SERGIO MENDES, etc. feel free to ask.

Nov 18, 2010, 10:25

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

velvetwater wrote:
jorbel wrote:
Wow, cheer energy.

I raise my hand!
If you need help with CAETANO VELOSO, GAL COSTA, JORGE BEN, GILBERTO GIL, NARA LEAO, TOM ZE, OS MUTANTES, ELIS REGINA, MARCOS VALLE, EDU LOBO, MARIA BETHANIA, MILTON NASCIMENTO and his CLUBE DA ESQUINA's friends, JOYCE, ASTRUD GILBERTO, SERGIO MENDES, etc. feel free to ask.

Me too, a fan of Milton Nascimento, Joao Gilberto, Astrud Gilberto, Gilberto Gil, Tom Jobim, Caetano Veloso etc. although my knowledge is rather patchy. I somehow always imagined that they would play a lot of Brazilian music in Portugal...

Nov 18, 2010, 11:38

Pages: 8 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index