Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Joao Donato "A Bad Donato" - Dots and Loops of 1971?
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Re: Joao Donato

Of course, I never meant to imply that the Groop plagiarized. Just that, just as earlier on it seemed all those Can, Faust, Neu albums were obvious blueprints for the kind of music Stereolab started out with, there was supposedly some music that Tim listened to get as much inspiration that was supposed to sound Brazilian. So "Bad Donato" is the closest to Brazilian music Stereolab has approximated.

True, D&L does sound like a composite between European mood music and Brazilian eclectic experimentalism (and that's not to mention other influences), but damned, I don't think Tim would've thought of that Parsec odd time groove without first hearing that aforementioned piece off "Bad Donato".

Nov 18, 2010, 13:00

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jorbel
329 posts

Oh, no, yes, they all play a lot here in Portugal. We are their second home, after all (and not unfrequently first). In the 80s I'd see Caetano often, but then I lost interest. It's totally my fault, I know. The only Brazillian singer I follow with a certain religiosity is Maria Monte, which I've been privileged to see many times, but I know my soul needs more of that Brazillian Stereolabic stuff, if you know what I mean. So if you have any suggestions in that vein, they'll be much appreciated -- especially specific recordings. But please that your time, because I always take mine. ;)

Nov 18, 2010, 15:01

seveninches
seveninches
95 posts

ha, that's exactly why i posted this in the stereolab origins a few years ago.

Nov 18, 2010, 15:34

Loopena
7 posts
Nov 18, 2010, 15:40

Archigram
Archigram
375 posts

Yeah I have this album, and one of the tunes has a quick descending organ riff that's identical to the one in "Parsec".

Nov 18, 2010, 18:38

Archigram
Archigram
375 posts

Here's another sort of loungy Brazilian tune, with a similar sound but maybe less groovin' and more pastoral. Still, the organ and woodwinds remind me of mellow 'lab.

Nov 18, 2010, 18:43

jorbel
329 posts

Superg! It's exactly the kind of shit I'm looking for! :)))

Nov 18, 2010, 19:37

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Stand by my friend: in a few hours I am going to "embed" my suggestions!

Nov 18, 2010, 20:12

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Archigram wrote:
Here's another sort of loungy Brazilian tune, with a similar sound but maybe less groovin' and more pastoral. Still, the organ and woodwinds remind me of mellow 'lab.

Most definitely!

Nov 18, 2010, 20:39

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

Yeah, that's an awesome tune! And I would not say it's bereft of groove, the hi-hat workout is superb! And speaking of drumming, now imagine this: how more infinitely cooler would've Dots been if John McEntire would've been installed as a second (studio) drummer? You know, have Ramsay to keep the solid backbeat, and then make Johnny Mac to add more advanced and contrapuntal rhythmic weirdness on top of it? Of course, he drums on "Brakhage" probably, but for the most of the time it's still either Ramsay or drum machine. In any case, I definitely have a thing going for two-drummer configurations.

Nov 18, 2010, 22:23

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index