Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Joao Donato "A Bad Donato" - Dots and Loops of 1971?
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Re: Joao Donato

Hey Hobobachang, you have just preceded me!
I was about to make a list myself and there are a lot of titles in common (CAETANO VELOSO, NARA LEAO, MARCOS VALLE, QUARTETO EM CY, MILTON NASCIMENTO, ELIS REGINA, ARTHUR VEROCAI, MARILIA MEDALHA).
I will now make a list that will only include records you have not listed.

Nov 19, 2010, 16:27

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Here's a list of titles that are an absolute must for whoever wants to explore Brazilian music with a particular eye to more "modern-progressive" (and I don't mean the genre) records rather than the older equally essential bossanova classics.
In no particular order:

EDU LOBO - EDU LOBO known as MISSA BREVE(1972) simply a masterpiece!
- CANTIGA DE LONGE (1970) more "classic" but equally good

MARCOS VALLE - PREVISAO DO TEMPO (1973) a masterpiece of sophistication and production
- VENTO DE SUL (1972) this is one of the greatest "hidden" gems ever!
- GARRA (1971) brazilian pop perfection

JORGE BEN - A TABUA DE ESMERALDA (1974) maybe his best one so start with this
- FORCA BRUTA (1970)
- NEGRO E LINDO (1971)
- A SOLTA O PRAVAO (1975)

GAL COSTA - GAL (1969) not to be confused with the gorgeous GAL COSTA (1969): this is one of the most psychedelic albums ever made!

CAETANO VELOSO - CAETANO VELOSO (1971) introspective beauty during the exile in London
- TRANSA (1972) possibly Caetano's masterpiece
- ARACA AZUL (1972) his most experimental LP, be careful with this but it is worth it!

VARIOUS - TROPICALIA (1968) a record made together by the main Tropicalia artists

JOYCE - NELSON ANGELO E JOYCE (1972) this one is truly magical!

TOM ZE - ESTUDANDO O SAMBA (1975) you won't hear another record that sounds like this

GILBERTO GIL - GILBERTO GIL (1969) one of the peaks of Tropicalia
- GILBERTO GIL (1971) folk/blues during the exile in London
- EXPRESSO 2222 (1972) his last fully great record
- GIL & JORGE - OGUM XANGO (1976) incredible acoustic tour the force with J.Ben: just 2 guitars and 2 vocals

MILTON NASCIMENTO - MILAGRE DOS PEIXES (1973) simply incredible! indescribable mostly instrumental beauty
- MILTON (1970)

LO BORGES - LO BORGES (1972) the mythical Adidas shoes LP cover: a fantastic companion to the CLUBE DA ESQUINA LP (one of the best records ever that is!)

SOM IMAGINARIO - MATANCA DO PORCO (1972) great orchestral prog: mostly instrumental

WALTER FRANCO - REVOLVER (1975) weird stuff

OS MUTANTES - get a compilation (EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE is a good one) and dig deeper if you like them

NARA LEAO - almost everything she recorded up to 1971 is truly beautiful and worth having

As there is so much stuff to investigate, I thought I made a list rather than embed Youtube videos. You can look them up yourselves anyway.
And there is more (what about the more American and jazzy Sergio Mendes and Flora Purim, for example?) , but I think these 2 lists will keep you busy for a couple of years! Enjoy.

Nov 19, 2010, 17:30

jorbel
329 posts

Wow. I'll certainly check these fabulous lists -- thanks a lot!

When I have more time I'll tell you about the Brazillian records I own (not many, but very good).

Nov 19, 2010, 17:43

jorbel
329 posts

Right now I'm listening to Olivia Byington's first album, and I'm completely astonished... <3

Nov 19, 2010, 17:44

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

just a couple of clips to add (for now) - from a slightly later period:

Nov 19, 2010, 18:07

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

velvetwater wrote:
Hey Hobobachang, you have just preceded me!
I was about to make a list myself and there are a lot of titles in common (CAETANO VELOSO, NARA LEAO, MARCOS VALLE, QUARTETO EM CY, MILTON NASCIMENTO, ELIS REGINA, ARTHUR VEROCAI, MARILIA MEDALHA).
I will now make a list that will only include records you have not listed.

Good tastes! :D

Nov 19, 2010, 23:30

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

jorbel wrote:
Thank you so much, Hobobachang!

Do you know Olivia Byington? I don't know any particular recording, but some time ago I saw her live here on TV and her voice sounded delightfully magical to me.

You're welcome!

This is not a name I am familiar with, so I will check her out for sure....thanks for the suggestion :)

On a different note, something occurred to me as I was compiling that list. This was that so many of my favourite Brazillian female singers died young, and in tragic circumstances....makes me sad that these fantastic performers all met such untimely ends:

Sylvia Telles died aged just 32 in a car crash, just a few weeks after this clip was filmed (1966)

Tuca passed away aged 34 after suffering a stroke in 1977

Elis Regina died from an accidental drug and booze overdose in 1982, aged 36

Clara Nunes died in 1983 aged 39, due to complications during surgery for varicose veins

Nara died from a brian tumour in 1989 (age 47)

Nov 19, 2010, 23:52

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

velvetwater wrote:

Here's a list of titles that are an absolute must for whoever wants to explore Brazilian music with a particular eye to more "modern-progressive" (and I don't mean the genre) records rather than the older equally essential bossanova classics.
In no particular order:

EDU LOBO - EDU LOBO known as MISSA BREVE(1972) simply a masterpiece!
- CANTIGA DE LONGE (1970) more "classic" but equally good

MARCOS VALLE - PREVISAO DO TEMPO (1973) a masterpiece of sophistication and production
- VENTO DE SUL (1972) this is one of the greatest "hidden" gems ever!
- GARRA (1971) brazilian pop perfection

JORGE BEN - A TABUA DE ESMERALDA (1974) maybe his best one so start with this
- FORCA BRUTA (1970)
- NEGRO E LINDO (1971)
- A SOLTA O PRAVAO (1975)

GAL COSTA - GAL (1969) not to be confused with the gorgeous GAL COSTA (1969): this is one of the most psychedelic albums ever made!

CAETANO VELOSO - CAETANO VELOSO (1971) introspective beauty during the exile in London
- TRANSA (1972) possibly Caetano's masterpiece
- ARACA AZUL (1972) his most experimental LP, be careful with this but it is worth it!

VARIOUS - TROPICALIA (1968) a record made together by the main Tropicalia artists

TOM ZE - ESTUDANDO O SAMBA (1975) you won't hear another record that sounds like this

GILBERTO GIL - GILBERTO GIL (1969) one of the peaks of Tropicalia
- GILBERTO GIL (1971) folk/blues during the exile in London
- EXPRESSO 2222 (1972) his last fully great record
- GIL & JORGE - OGUM XANGO (1976) incredible acoustic tour the force with J.Ben: just 2 guitars and 2 vocals

MILTON NASCIMENTO - MILAGRE DOS PEIXES (1973) simply incredible! indescribable mostly instrumental beauty
- MILTON (1970)

LO BORGES - LO BORGES (1972) the mythical Adidas shoes LP cover: a fantastic companion to the CLUBE DA ESQUINA LP (one of the best records ever that is!)

SOM IMAGINARIO - MATANCA DO PORCO (1972) great orchestral prog: mostly instrumental

WALTER FRANCO - REVOLVER (1975) weird stuff

OS MUTANTES - get a compilation (EVERYTHING IS POSSIBLE is a good one) and dig deeper if you like them

NARA LEAO - almost everything she recorded up to 1971 is truly beautiful and worth having

As there is so much stuff to investigate, I thought I made a list rather than embed Youtube videos. You can look them up yourselves anyway.
And there is more (what about the more American and jazzy Sergio Mendes and Flora Purim, for example?) , but I think these 2 lists will keep you busy for a couple of years! Enjoy.

Great, thanks for these recommendations!
Plenty to track down for me there.....in fact I'm aquiring some Edu Lobo as I type :D

Nov 19, 2010, 23:57

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

velvetwater wrote:

LINDA!! Just listening to this for the first time, and it sounds like a real classic....thanks ever so much for recommending :)

Nov 20, 2010, 03:52

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
velvetwater wrote:

LINDA!! Just listening to this for the first time, and it sounds like a real classic....thanks ever so much for recommending :)

Hah, I just noticed a track on this album is called "Linda"....didn't mean that particular song, just "beautiful" in Portugese :D

Nov 20, 2010, 04:00

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index