Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Joao Donato "A Bad Donato" - Dots and Loops of 1971?
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

Re: Joao Donato

Hobobachang wrote:
Hah, I just noticed a track on this album is called "Linda"....didn't mean that particular song, just "beautiful" in Portugese :D

Or is that "LINDO"?
Hah, I'm just rambling now :P

Nov 20, 2010, 04:07

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

velvetwater wrote:

Here's a list of titles that are an absolute must for whoever wants to explore Brazilian music with a particular eye to more "modern-progressive" (and I don't mean the genre) records rather than the older equally essential bossanova classics.
In no particular order:

EDU LOBO - EDU LOBO known as MISSA BREVE(1972) simply a masterpiece!
- CANTIGA DE LONGE (1970) more "classic" but equally good

MARCOS VALLE - PREVISAO DO TEMPO (1973) a masterpiece of sophistication and production
- VENTO DE SUL (1972) this is one of the greatest "hidden" gems ever!
- GARRA (1971) brazilian pop perfection

I've been looking for CD versions of Missa Breve and Previsao Do Tempo. Both are among my favorite albums ever. But I don't have a big collection of Brazilian music.

At one time when I thought I loved Edu Lobo I downloaded tons of his albums but decided it was just from a certain era, late 60's early 70's that I liked. I love his voice, but much of it gets too cheesy for me.

Nov 20, 2010, 21:03

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

velvetwater wrote:

I had a listen to this for the first time, and it's quite trancendental! The whole of side two reminds me in atmosphere of the amazing "Os Afro-Sambas" album, I've been looking for more stuff like that :D

Edu Lobo and "Nelson Angelo e Joyce" are really classic albums....thanks very much for the recommendations! I am now checking out Joyce's "Passarinho Urbano", also sounding fantastic! :)

Nov 22, 2010, 22:20

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

I am glad you liked them.
PASSARINHO URBANO is great. It is the most "ethnic" sounding album Joyce ever did and is unique in her discography. It is full of short folk/samba ditties and quite experimental in concept. It reminds me of Nara Leao's MANHA DE LIBERDADE for its unusual and spare.
For a similar effect try the beautiful Caetano Veloso's JOIA lp (1975).
Also check out JOYCE's first 2 late 60's albums if you like very easy and poppy Brazilian songs and her early 80's FEMININA and AGUA E LUZ for a modern update on her 60's sound, still with very nice songs and less predictable arrangements, performed by excellent musicians.

Nov 23, 2010, 11:29

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

One phrase was partly erased by mistake:
"It reminds me of Nara Leao's MANHA DE LIBERDADE for its unusual and spare arrangements".

Nov 23, 2010, 11:31

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

Hobobachang wrote:

I had a listen to this for the first time, and it's quite trancendental! The whole of side two reminds me in atmosphere of the amazing "Os Afro-Sambas" album, I've been looking for more stuff like that :D

If you like OS AFRO-SAMBAS, try Edu Lobo's EDU CANTA ZUMBI (1968).

Nov 23, 2010, 11:59

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
velvetwater wrote:

Edu Lobo and "Nelson Angelo e Joyce" are really classic albums....thanks very much for the recommendations! I am now checking out Joyce's "Passarinho Urbano", also sounding fantastic! :)

Been listening to this Edu Lobo album and really liking it. Spotify has it as 2006, but must be a re-release. I knew his name from songwriting credits (Pra Dizer Adeus, Casa Forte), but never really listened to him before. Cheers.

Nov 23, 2010, 17:40

mikka000
1083 posts

there is also a Brazil 66 version of this called 'the frog' which is worth checking out.

Nov 24, 2010, 05:28

RoncsKornel
2 posts

What a nice topic! Great recommendations.

Anybody familiar with Quarteto Era Nova? They're simply put amazing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RubTCgaqDBY

There's also a nice Beat Boys 7" floating around the internets. Pretty rare but worth the trouble.

Nov 26, 2010, 03:05

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

RoncsKornel wrote:
What a nice topic! Great recommendations.

Anybody familiar with Quarteto Era Nova? They're simply put amazing!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RubTCgaqDBY

There's also a nice Beat Boys 7" floating around the internets. Pretty rare but worth the trouble.

Welcome to the forum, RoncsKornel :D

This Quarteto Era Nova sound brilliant, cheers for the recommendation! I will be sure to check them out :)

Nov 27, 2010, 01:17

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index