Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Joao Donato "A Bad Donato" - Dots and Loops of 1971?
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

Re: Joao Donato

velvetwater wrote:
PASSARINHO URBANO is great. It is the most "ethnic" sounding album Joyce ever did and is unique in her discography. It is full of short folk/samba ditties and quite experimental in concept. It reminds me of Nara Leao's MANHA DE LIBERDADE for its unusual and spare.
For a similar effect try the beautiful Caetano Veloso's JOIA lp (1975).
Also check out JOYCE's first 2 late 60's albums if you like very easy and poppy Brazilian songs and her early 80's FEMININA and AGUA E LUZ for a modern update on her 60's sound, still with very nice songs and less predictable arrangements, performed by excellent musicians.

Thanks, Velvetwater :)

The way you have described these Joyce albums is exactly how they sound. PASSARINHO URBANO's production is very individual, with the crossfading, stereo panning and filter sweeps....I love it! And the strong "ethnic" feeling percussion when it appears is sublime (this is one of the things I enjoy most about Clara Nunes as well), if anything I feel many of the tracks end way too quickly. Brilliant stuff! FEMININA also sounds really lovely, I have only played that through a couple of times but I am sure it will become a firm favourite. Thanks again!

Nov 27, 2010, 01:24

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

Speaking of Quartetos

RoncsKornel wrote:
Anybody familiar with Quarteto Era Nova? They're simply put amazing!

On the subject of Quartetos, I uploaded this little slideshow in tribute of Quarteto em Cy, one of my Brazillian favourites :)

The end part of that track (from 1:56 onwards)....I don't know what it is about it, but I just find it so agreeable....the chord progression, the interplay of the instruments and voices....it's a very deep piece of music for me! Here's another one:

Nov 27, 2010, 02:00

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Re: Speaking of Quartetos

Hobobachang wrote:
RoncsKornel wrote:
Anybody familiar with Quarteto Era Nova? They're simply put amazing!

On the subject of Quartetos, I uploaded this little slideshow in tribute of Quarteto em Cy, one of my Brazillian favourites :)

The end part of that track (from 1:56 onwards)....I don't know what it is about it, but I just find it so agreeable....the chord progression, the interplay of the instruments and voices....it's a very deep piece of music for me! Here's another one:

Nice! I think we may already have written about how that second one was written by Edu Lobo on Missa Breve. I love his version. But it's not on youtube to share.

Nov 27, 2010, 02:38

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

I'm revisiting this thread because there's so many great recommendations, thanks!! I'm looking forward to listening to more, I'm really in the mood for it these days. Sort of by accident started getting reacquainted by way of a few youtube searches.

Joyce's Clareana (youtube link in my sooth the savage beast thread) just is so stuck in my head. So not sure how I'll like them, but starting with:
Nelson Angelo e Joyce (1972) and
Joyce, Nana Vasconcelos, & Mauricio Maestro- Visions Of Dawn (1976)

She's such a good guitar player too.

Feb 05, 2011, 08:46

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

velvetwater wrote:

GAL COSTA - GAL (1969) not to be confused with the gorgeous GAL COSTA (1969): this is one of the most psychedelic albums ever made!

I'm loving Gal Costa 1969 so much! Not the one called "Gal", I got that one a while ago and didn't take to it much, though I'll revisit it. But this one is so great in parts.

Feb 13, 2011, 21:55

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
I'm loving Gal Costa 1969 so much! Not the one called "Gal", I got that one a while ago and didn't take to it much, though I'll revisit it. But this one is so great in parts.

It's the greatest from all of Gal!
(imho)

"Saudosismo" is my favourite track, but really, the album as a whole is just brilliant :)

Feb 14, 2011, 19:53

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Joyce's Clareana (youtube link in my sooth the savage beast thread) just is so stuck in my head. So not sure how I'll like them, but starting with:
Nelson Angelo e Joyce (1972) and
Joyce, Nana Vasconcelos, & Mauricio Maestro- Visions Of Dawn (1976)

She's such a good guitar player too.

I have been listening to Joyce a hell of a lot since velvetwater's recommendation (thanks again vw!!)

"Nelson Angelo e Joyce" is truly wonderful, "Visions of Dawn" I wasn't as mad about. I give my highest recommendations to "Passarinho Urbano", "Feminina", "Astronauta: Songs of Elis" (but then I am crazy about Elis Regina), and a more recent one "Delirios de Orfeu". I haven't yet listened extensively to any other albums enough to comment on those.

But yeah, can't go wrong really. This is one talented lady! I even felt moved to make a little slideshow tribute on youtube a few weeks ago, the last minute in particular of this track is just wonderful imho:

Feb 14, 2011, 20:05

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

I was pleased to finally see Joyce live in London, maybe five years ago. Voice still in fantastic shape - effortlessly going through the scales, and a virtuoso guitarist to boot. What a talented musician.

Feb 14, 2011, 20:15

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

microbehunter wrote:
I was pleased to finally see Joyce live in London, maybe five years ago. Voice still in fantastic shape - effortlessly going through the scales, and a virtuoso guitarist to boot. What a talented musician.

OOhh!! You're really lucky....I wish I could have too :) In fact if she ever plays again anywhere in the UK I would probably make the trip!

Feb 14, 2011, 20:32

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Bump again. Just got Gal e Caetano Veloso, which I like very much.

Also got The Essential Joyce which I can't wait to listen to. I think Microbehunter recommended that one to me as a starting off point.

Wish I could find more of my favorites on CD, but they're almost impossible to find, even online. I'm really almost done with CDs but still want to get the things I like the most. And still get the urge to go to Amoeba once in a while.

Mar 13, 2011, 18:51

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index