Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Joao Donato "A Bad Donato" - Dots and Loops of 1971?
Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1891 posts

Re: Joao Donato

Hobobachang wrote:

It's the greatest from all of Gal!
(imho)

"Saudosismo" is my favourite track, but really, the album as a whole is just brilliant :)

I love that track too. Totally relaxes me and brings a big smile to my face.

Mar 31, 2011, 05:26

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Hmm, I just realized I probably don't have the one microbehunter recommended, I have a release from EMI called The Essential Joyce from 2003. The one I really should get is the one from 1997 which has more songs. The one I have is good though.

Apr 30, 2011, 23:48

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

Yeah, I am not sure what is on that compilation, the one you want is probably this:

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Joyce-1970-1996/dp/B0000240S8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304237602&sr=8-1

Plus I have a whole smattering of Joyce studio albums: the newer one's, arguably the strongest of her career.
Just A Little Bit Crazy (2003) is particularly good. As are Hard Bossa (1999), Gafieira Moderna (2001), Tudo Bonita (2000)

May 01, 2011, 08:27

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

Thanks, I'll keep listening. :)

May 01, 2011, 08:52

velvetwater
velvetwater
835 posts

microbehunter wrote:
Yeah, I am not sure what is on that compilation, the one you want is probably this:

http://www.amazon.com/Essential-Joyce-1970-1996/dp/B0000240S8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1304237602&sr=8-1

Yes, I agree with this being the best compilation.

May 01, 2011, 18:49

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
634 posts

Right, here's the Stereolab origins, that I finally bothered to locate.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZkpyzXVOFk

Also, some commenter points out that "Free Design" is likely more influenced by a Peter Thomas composition, which might've influenced ABBA's "Dancing Queen".

Jun 03, 2011, 20:37

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

Good listen takes me back to my grandmas house.

Jun 03, 2011, 22:30

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2130 posts

Hobobachang wrote:
Thanks, Velvetwater :)

The way you have described these Joyce albums is exactly how they sound. PASSARINHO URBANO's production is very individual, with the crossfading, stereo panning and filter sweeps....I love it! And the strong "ethnic" feeling percussion when it appears is sublime (this is one of the things I enjoy most about Clara Nunes as well), if anything I feel many of the tracks end way too quickly. Brilliant stuff!

I was playing PASSARINHO URBANO whilst driving a few weeks ago, and commented on the stereo panning to my passenger. They suggested that this could be intended to create the impression of the carnival atmosphere, as in the sound of the music drifting by as floats go past....this had never occured to me before, but actually makes perfect sense :)

Jun 04, 2011, 11:25

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

This is an exact copy of a Sergio Mendes and Brasil'66 song named Roda from the album "Look Around," wow I have a good ear

Jul 04, 2011, 21:01

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

It is same song as Sergio Mendes. It means the frog and it's one of my fave songs. I didn't recognize it on initial listen.

Jul 04, 2011, 21:07

Pages: 8 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index