Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Joao Donato "A Bad Donato" - Dots and Loops of 1971?
71 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Hobobachang
Hobobachang
2133 posts

Re: Joao Donato

velvetwater wrote:
PASSARINHO URBANO is great. It is the most "ethnic" sounding album Joyce ever did and is unique in her discography. It is full of short folk/samba ditties and quite experimental in concept. It reminds me of Nara Leao's MANHA DE LIBERDADE for its unusual and spare.
For a similar effect try the beautiful Caetano Veloso's JOIA lp (1975).
Also check out JOYCE's first 2 late 60's albums if you like very easy and poppy Brazilian songs and her early 80's FEMININA and AGUA E LUZ for a modern update on her 60's sound, still with very nice songs and less predictable arrangements, performed by excellent musicians.

Thanks, Velvetwater :)

The way you have described these Joyce albums is exactly how they sound. PASSARINHO URBANO's production is very individual, with the crossfading, stereo panning and filter sweeps....I love it! And the strong "ethnic" feeling percussion when it appears is sublime (this is one of the things I enjoy most about Clara Nunes as well), if anything I feel many of the tracks end way too quickly. Brilliant stuff! FEMININA also sounds really lovely, I have only played that through a couple of times but I am sure it will become a firm favourite. Thanks again!

Nov 27, 2010, 01:24

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: