Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Seen Broadcast live?
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Seen Broadcast live?

Hi all,

Just wondering if you have seen Broadcast live and whether it is a worthwhile experience. I suppose recent attendance would be more relevant as they have changed over the years.

The reason I ask is I wonder whether they make a great show or whether they are more of a record reproduction type of band. When I look back in history I think of Jon Spencer, They Might Be Giants, Tenniscoats and Stereolab as bands who put on good shows that aren't just the records. Then I think of The Books, Luna and a few others who kind of just play the record and you don't know whether you gained much by seeing it live. This can be the case when the band has all their music on computer so the song has to stop when the file does

I know they do video displays but do they have a live band? Do they engage with the crowd?
Do you wish they provided a beanbag for you to sit back and chill but instead had to stand with a crowd of sweating guys who were all 7 feet tall?
Is it worth seeing them?

Nov 26, 2010, 03:16

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

k.
k.
407 posts

Re: Seen Broadcast live?

Seen them four times, and they're great live. A pure psychedelia in lights, looks and performance. Some of their live takes take epic turns, "Minim" and "Ominous Cloud", "Unchanging Window" and "Chord Simple", etc.

Nov 26, 2010, 03:23

k.
k.
407 posts

By no means mellow, actually. No beanbag necessary. Live band, lotta power.

Nov 26, 2010, 03:24

hito
hito
1745 posts

Thanks k. What kind of lineup do they have?

Nov 26, 2010, 03:31

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

They are brilliant live! I've seen them 3 times and they've just gotten better and better. They are actually quite powerful.

Nov 26, 2010, 07:49

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

I've seen them twice. First time after Tender Buttons, and there was a bass player and drummer with them. Wonderful to hear that music live.

Then more recently after Witch Cults. I wasn't sure if I would like it, because I wasn't crazy about the album. But it was much more interesting live since it was a more complete sensory experience with the Julian House video collages etc behind them. Plus I love to be able to go back and chat with Martin a bit. And that time I met Wendy Flower. As you know now it's just James and Trish, behind their synthesizers. Trish was more involved with that this time instead of just guitar and singing. She is not what you would call an entertainer when she sings and plays, she stays almost in the shadows sometimes.

I'm very glad to be able to see them live, hope their new album comes out soon, it's taking forever. I want to see a tour after that.

Nov 26, 2010, 08:59

Cosmos Twins
Cosmos Twins
146 posts

I'm fortunate enough to have been seeing them live ever since about 1997-1998 - they seemed to play in London all the time in those days. For such a delicate band on record I've always admired how robust their live show is. I wouldn't say they've ever 'engaged' particularly, but it's never been sedate.

Plus they are responsible for two of my favourite ever gigs, London ULU in May 2003 (just after Pendulum and before Ha Ha sound - no-one could match them then), and the Bush Hall gig in July 2006 (a 100 F+ sweatbox which saw them demo their recent set closer).

CT

Nov 26, 2010, 13:15

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

I've seen them twice and they were excellent both times. Even though their recorded output is highly processed, they really play the songs live and improv/extend and put a lot into their performance. Maybe not real talkative, but a great live band no doubt. The first time I saw them, for Haha Sound (supported by Manitoba!), I stuck around to meet everybody and had my ltd Haha Sound CD signed by all 5 members of the live band. They were all very gracious and particularly Trish seemed very eager to engage with people one-on-one. 'Twas cool!

Nov 26, 2010, 15:21

meanchico
meanchico
2696 posts

I've seen them twice and really liked both shows. One time Iron & Wine opened for them. I found that kind of odd. Both shows were before they lost that amazing drummer. He stole the show. Trish is great, but she struggled a bit with projecting her voice.

Totally worth checking out though.

Nov 26, 2010, 16:11

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I've seen them twice. I enjoyed the show. I don't understand understand what hito is implying that they are too recording industry legerdemain; I did not detect this. The show was aloof contact and the performance well-done to medium rare! met some of the artists and that's a thrill. Missed them their last go around. Will catch them next time, i hope.

Nov 26, 2010, 17:02

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index