Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
wikileaks.
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

wikileaks.

what do you think? good or bad for democracy?

my fear is that it's gonna backfire and the government will do what it did after 9/11 and get even more paranoid than it already is. when that happens people's rights are gonna start being taken away and wiretaps will be the least of our worries...

thoughts?

Nov 30, 2010, 01:14

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

MY RETURN
1963 posts

Re: wikileaks.

It was shameless and wreckless. Just a week or 2 ago, the founder of Wikipedia said he questioned their practices. Now..What was the point, what possible good could have come from this? Nothing.

Nov 30, 2010, 01:41

hito
hito
1745 posts

MY RETURN wrote:
It was shameless and wreckless. Just a week or 2 ago, the founder of Wikipedia said he questioned their practices. Now..What was the point, what possible good could have come from this? Nothing.

Are you talking about wikipedia or wikileaks?

As to your final point and mitchervan's question, this really comes down to what I have talked about quite a bit.

If you believe that you have a right to information then wikileaks is the greatest thing to come up in years. There is almost nothing that should be kept secret from people. I have a right to know what is being done in my name.

War secrets, spying and the like only help create barriers and fuel hostility. They create an us and them mentality in every country and divide humans from one another. This mentality is what limits human beings from reaching their potential.

The potential unrest worldwide that may arise from other countries knowing the rotten attitudes of some people would appear to be a short term loss for what would be a long term gain. The desire to protect America from exposure over its ruthless tactics is similar to the economic arguments against taking action against pollution. It suggests that we should condone bad behaviour for our own comfort.

If you look at the video I posted here, you can see that the world would benefit from knowing what is going on:

http://stereolab.co.uk/forum/stereolab/topic/2612/threaded/29846

It can bring unwinnable wars to an end, help "us" understand why "they" hate us and bring about a change in the way we choose to relate to fellow human beings.

Nov 30, 2010, 03:32

MY RETURN
1963 posts

hito wrote:
MY RETURN wrote:

Are you talking about wikipedia or wikileaks?

I meant wikipedia criticized wikileaks, and that was before this took off.

Nov 30, 2010, 03:47

vivakomeda
746 posts

I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about Wikileaks in principle, but I do think this Assange is one of the most egotistical, obnoxious bastards walking the face of the earth. Such an arrogant ass, that guy.

Nov 30, 2010, 05:02

MY RETURN
1963 posts

The 22yo private/source.

November 30, 2010

The young Army private suspected of stealing diplomatic memos and feeding them to WikiLeaks may have defeated Pentagon security systems using little more than a Lady Gaga CD and a portable computer memory stick.

The soldier, Bradley Manning, has not been charged in the latest release of internal U.S. government documents. But officials said he is the prime suspect partly because of his own description of how he pulled off a staggering heist of classified and restricted material...

By his own admission, Manning was apparently able to pull material from outside the Pentagon, including documents he had little obvious reason to see. He was arrested shortly after those chats last spring and was moved in July to the Quantico Marine Corps Base in Virginia to await trial on the earlier charges. He could face up to 52 years in a military prison if convicted.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/world/stories/DN-wikisecurity_30int.ART.State.Edition1.d57abf.html

Nov 30, 2010, 22:21

Dara
Dara
905 posts

Re: The 22yo private/source.

MY RETURN wrote:
...He could face up to 52 years in a military prison if convicted.

he's lucky, in previous wars he would have been shot at dawn as a traitor.

Nov 30, 2010, 23:01

calapia
calapia
252 posts

hito wrote:

The potential unrest worldwide that may arise from other countries knowing the rotten attitudes of some people would appear to be a short term loss for what would be a long term gain.

There's only millions that will lose their jobs, their homes, right?

Dec 01, 2010, 03:10

MY RETURN
1963 posts

Re: The 22yo private/source.

The guy from Wiki said Clinton needs to be fired or resign. lol The balls.

Dec 01, 2010, 03:56

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

noam chomsky weighs in on the issue...

...courtesy of democracy now.

Dec 02, 2010, 00:13

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index