Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
What are you listening to right now?
Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Dara
Dara
905 posts

Re: What are you listening to right now?

MY RETURN wrote:
Nice. What about Thelonious Monk?

Yeah - Monk was brilliant too of course. His style was very different to Ocar's though - more blues based. Monk was more passionate in his playing and perhaps more willing to tke risks - which is part of his brilliance of course.

I would venture that Oscar Peterson was more accomplished technically, and I think for me, his pure jazz was really uplifting - you know? As I said, his playing always makes me feel good about the world (and that's no mean feat these days!)...

having said that, jazz doesn't get much better than 'Around midnight'...

Jan 07, 2011, 23:42

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Dara wrote:
MY RETURN wrote:
Nice. What about Thelonious Monk?

Yeah - Monk was brilliant too of course. His style was very different to Ocar's though - more blues based. Monk was more passionate in his playing and perhaps more willing to tke risks - which is part of his brilliance of course.

I would venture that Oscar Peterson was more accomplished technically, and I think for me, his pure jazz was really uplifting - you know? As I said, his playing always makes me feel good about the world (and that's no mean feat these days!)...

having said that, jazz doesn't get much better than 'Around midnight'...

Yeah Monk! I've been getting into him more and more recently - especially since the BBC did an excellent documentary on him. I've always found Oscar Paterson too smoooth for my liking - horses for courses, of course. Technically brilliant, but lacking passion, for me. My favourite jazz pianist at the moment is Bill Evans, who I've posted about before on here. You might know this tune which he played with Miles Davis on Kind Of Blue:

Jan 08, 2011, 00:20

Dara
Dara
905 posts

Well, I'm going through a rocky time in my life at the moment and smooooth and up-beat seems to be the best music therapy for me just now - I am listening to the lighter side of the Lab at the moment too, For some reason Dots and Loops (which I have always loved - and still do) brings back such powerful memories and emotions that I can't listen to it - which is a real shame. The stuff that keeps me up at the moment is mostly the older work - Refried ecto, TRNBWA and MAQ - esp. International colouring contest and that sort of atmosphere...

The light that will never cease to fail is failing a bit again.

But the BBC documantary on Monk sounds great though - I looked on YouTube but couldn't find it - any suggestions?

Jan 08, 2011, 01:06

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Dara wrote:
Well, I'm going through a rocky time in my life at the moment and smooooth and up-beat seems to be the best music therapy for me just now - I am listening to the lighter side of the Lab at the moment too, For some reason Dots and Loops (which I have always loved - and still do) brings back such powerful memories and emotions that I can't listen to it - which is a real shame. The stuff that keeps me up at the moment is mostly the older work - Refried ecto, TRNBWA and MAQ - esp. International colouring contest and that sort of atmosphere...

The light that will never cease to fail is failing a bit again.

But the BBC documantary on Monk sounds great though - I looked on YouTube but couldn't find it - any suggestions?

Hope things pick up for you Dara. Music can help you through all manner of shit.

I think I got confused about the Thelonious Monk documentary. They played an old concert a few months ago, which is sadly no longer available:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00jwcr2
The documentary I was thinking about was something called the Jazz Baroness a fascinating programmme about a posh English lady who shocked her family by leaving her stately home life behind to live in New York patronising several of the best jazz musicians of the day - and becoming Thelonious' lover.
Couldn't find a direct link to it - YouTube have deleted to it, but I found this link to the equivalent radio programme here:
http://www.thejazzbaroness.co.uk/radio.asp
I'm listening to it as I type this - well worth a listen.

Jan 08, 2011, 11:02

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Jan 08, 2011, 11:59

Dara
Dara
905 posts

Harold Bissonette wrote:
Music can help you through all manner of shit.

Thanks - well said Harold. It is really the rock in a stormy sea at the moment. Thanks for the info about the BBC programmes too - I will look out elsewhere for the Monk concert - it must be available somewhere in cyberspace, If I find it I'll post a link back here. The Jazz Baroness sounds amazing! I'll give it a listen today - It really is astounding what stories you find in jazz when you scratch the surface....

Jan 08, 2011, 13:23

corporalclegg
corporalclegg
501 posts

May 08, 2011, 23:44

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Body Love 2: Klaus Schulze. It's really spacey.

May 08, 2011, 23:45

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

Strawberry Whiplash - Another April by Bubblegum Lemonade

May 09, 2011, 00:34

calapia
calapia
252 posts

Harold Bissonette wrote:

My favourite jazz pianist at the moment is Bill Evans, who I've posted about before on here. You might know this tune which he played with Miles Davis on Kind Of Blue:

Yes! Bill Evans is one of my favourite musicians of all time, hands down.

This video was of one of his last concerts - this intro to Nardis is just out of this world. What a tragic story Bill's life is.

May 09, 2011, 01:08

Pages: 13 – [ Previous | 13 4 5 6 7 8 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index