Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
What are you listening to right now?
124 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Re: What are you listening to right now?

Dara wrote:
MY RETURN wrote:
Nice. What about Thelonious Monk?

Yeah - Monk was brilliant too of course. His style was very different to Ocar's though - more blues based. Monk was more passionate in his playing and perhaps more willing to tke risks - which is part of his brilliance of course.

I would venture that Oscar Peterson was more accomplished technically, and I think for me, his pure jazz was really uplifting - you know? As I said, his playing always makes me feel good about the world (and that's no mean feat these days!)...

having said that, jazz doesn't get much better than 'Around midnight'...

Yeah Monk! I've been getting into him more and more recently - especially since the BBC did an excellent documentary on him. I've always found Oscar Paterson too smoooth for my liking - horses for courses, of course. Technically brilliant, but lacking passion, for me. My favourite jazz pianist at the moment is Bill Evans, who I've posted about before on here. You might know this tune which he played with Miles Davis on Kind Of Blue:

Jan 08, 2011, 00:20

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: