Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
some thoughts on Cobra and Phases
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1905 posts

some thoughts on Cobra and Phases

the album cover perfectly conveys the mood and ambiance of the music

it was a difficult album for me to get into. The albums made before and after this one were instantly accessible for me. However I was put off by much of Cobra and Phases at first. The melodies and musical ideas took awhile to sink in. But slowly and surely they did. A very unique and complex album. From Dots and Loops to Cobra to Sound Dust - what a mindblowing run of albums.

Dec 28, 2010, 06:39

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5933 posts

Re: some thoughts on Cobra and Phases

like :)

Dec 28, 2010, 06:43

MY RETURN
1963 posts

I loved it instantly. It dips sort of near the end. Then Emergency Kisses and Come Play bring it back. To each their own.

Dec 28, 2010, 20:38

argylecover
35 posts

It's funny, I have a fondness for the back end of that album. "Velvet Water" is gorgeous, "Strobo Acceleration" is fun and has some really interesting lyrics, and I've always loved "Caleidoscopic Gaze."

And it goes without saying how great "Come and Play" and "The Emergency Kisses" are.

Dec 28, 2010, 23:31

Babylon01
Babylon01
183 posts

It's very, very good, but I'm not 100% on Blue Milk, and Italian Shoes goes on for a tad too long. I absolutely love Infinity Girl -gorgeous. I feel the variety of sounds on it is amazing, and Caleidoscopic Gaze still staggers me.

Dec 30, 2010, 22:41

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

It's still brown.

Dec 30, 2010, 22:53

Dara
Dara
905 posts

Notwithstanding the risk of attracting another shit storm from Cheeso, given his oft aired critique of it's 'brownness' etc etc...

(sorry Cheeso we know you don't like it ;o)

For me it was the soundtrack to a general fin de siecle zeitgeist at the end of the twentieth century. It has an ominous mixture of opulence and/or decadence, combined with a shared prospect of unavoidable radical change or some approaching "end."

After Dots and Loops it felt like a haunted memory of an incredible journey - a kind of wistful looking back at where have have been, what we had achieved and all the failures and sadness of the human condition. I had the impression of it being something of a cadenza in the context of the groop's canon.

It has joyous and light moments of course, but overall I find it quite a sad work. Sad in a very beautiful way though. It also coincided with a reunion with an old friend of mine from years ago and I have kind of fused it with those feelings of reunion, resolution, optimism and hope. A sort of ghostly crossroads between the thin veils of space and time.

I loved the poetry of the title. Somehow it took on a strangely personal collaged meaning for me which was something vaguely to do with:

COBRA (the UK governments military security crisis committee) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_Office_Briefing_Rooms - the Phases groop playing voltage bit was the sound they created, and the 'milky night' I always thought was a rather sweet reference to the disturbed nights Laetitia would have been experiencing with the then newly born Alex - but then perhaps that's what poetry is supposed to do.

It is the music of another dimension for me now. At least another century, but I still like to go there occasionally when the Inter Dimensional Council grants me a license to travel...

Dec 31, 2010, 02:17

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

Shitstorm? I contributed a mere 3 words to this thread, silly.

Dec 31, 2010, 03:12

Dara
Dara
905 posts

It was not meant as a criticism - I was simply acknowledging your dislike of this brown opus - to save you the trouble (ditto the reference to John Lennon in the best movies thread).

Dec 31, 2010, 03:23

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

Oooh you're just lucky I missed that one!!!! :)

Dec 31, 2010, 03:31

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index