Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
some thoughts on Cobra and Phases
16 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jorbel
330 posts

Re: some thoughts on Cobra and Phases

Dara wrote:
For me it was the soundtrack to a general fin de siecle zeitgeist at the end of the twentieth century. It has an ominous mixture of opulence and/or decadence, combined with a shared prospect of unavoidable radical change or some approaching "end."

After Dots and Loops it felt like a haunted memory of an incredible journey - a kind of wistful looking back at where have have been, what we had achieved and all the failures and sadness of the human condition. I had the impression of it being something of a cadenza in the context of the groop's canon.

It has joyous and light moments of course, but overall I find it quite a sad work. Sad in a very beautiful way though. It also coincided with a reunion with an old friend of mine from years ago and I have kind of fused it with those feelings of reunion, resolution, optimism and hope. A sort of ghostly crossroads between the thin veils of space and time.

I loved the poetry of the title. Somehow it took on a strangely personal collaged meaning for me which was something vaguely to do with:

COBRA (the UK governments military security crisis committee) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabinet_Office_Briefing_Rooms - the Phases groop playing voltage bit was the sound they created, and the 'milky night' I always thought was a rather sweet reference to the disturbed nights Laetitia would have been experiencing with the then newly born Alex - but then perhaps that's what poetry is supposed to do.

It is the music of another dimension for me now. At least another century, but I still like to go there occasionally when the Inter Dimensional Council grants me a license to travel...

And I love your poetry here -- superb shit!

I absolutley love Cobra from end to end and without any sort of interruptions in interest.

I never find it sad though. There's a certain melancholy to it, right, but the overall picture is that of an endless horizon of positive possibilities.

OMG, I love the groop so much! <3

Jan 02, 2011, 22:55