Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
mellow Broadcast
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

raygun
raygun
170 posts

mellow Broadcast

Experimentation in sound is interesting, but sometimes you just need a melody by the artist you love. I did another run-through of the works of Broadcast to look for songs with less experimental noise and somewhat more of a melody. These are my favs:

Man Is Not a Bird - Haha Sound
Ominous Cloud - Haha Sound
Come On Let's Go - The Noise Made By People
The Book Lovers - Work and Non Work
The World Backwards - Work and Non Work
Living Room - Work and Non Work
Dave's Dream - The Future Crayon
Drums On Fire - EP
Poem of Dead Song - EP
Corporeal - Tender Buttons

Jan 03, 2011, 03:06

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5926 posts

Re: mellow Broadcast

Like!

Jan 03, 2011, 05:06

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

Message from Home
Where Youth and Laughter Go
Unchanging Window
Still Feels Like Tears

Jan 03, 2011, 05:58

mikka000
1083 posts

aaah, the good ol' days.

Jan 03, 2011, 06:05

hito
hito
1745 posts

I like most of those songs. I thought I would make a list of my own but found it hard to put it together. Is "the little bell" experimental? Isn't corporeal pretty experimental?

I love pretty much everything Broadcast does and like the direction they are heading in. But - like you - I do think they produce some great tunes and love that aspect of the band.

Jan 03, 2011, 14:34

Stereo Mouse
Stereo Mouse
635 posts

yeah, and how about "Man is Not A Bird", is that not an experimental avant-garde move of incorporating multi-layered free-jazz percussion into the warped spacy pop style? ;)

Jan 03, 2011, 22:21

vivakomeda
746 posts

A journalist summed up Broadcast not so long ago by saying something along these lines:

"They've taken an interesting descent into deep experimentalism in recent years; occasionally - and to their benefit - traces of the old pop band emerge in that experimental sound."

My view is that Broadcast is, or was, a terrific pop band with one of the most compelling vocal leads in music today. Their "experimentalism" I find aimless and tedious.

When reading an account like the one I paraphrased above, I wonder if more people (like that journalist) don't basically feel the same way, but temper their message because of the idea that "experimentalism" in music is always a good, or at least noble, thing.

Jan 03, 2011, 23:36

vivakomeda
746 posts

I do like those melodic tracks, but ultimately my favorite songs of theirs are the ones that marry the atmosphere of the music with the vocal.

Echo's Answer
Papercuts
The World Backwards
Look Outside
Illumination
Still Feels Like Tears
Unchanging Window

etc.

Then you look at a song like Corporeal. Keenan's vocal is as good on that song as any I've heard, and in fact it might be my single favourite Broadcast track. But can you imagine anyone else singing that song? I think the music/melody is pretty simple fare, and the instrumentation is nothing special. Thankfully the album version goes light on all those loud electronic sounds until the song's latter parts - when I saw them live last month it completely overwhelmed the song and the singer.

Point is, Keenan is what makes Broadcast go. It's at their peril that they've moved away from simple arrangements built around the vocal to these experimental noise collages.

Jan 03, 2011, 23:46

MY RETURN
1963 posts

Winter Now

Essential Broadcast.

Sing along.

Jan 04, 2011, 01:41

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5926 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
I do like those melodic tracks, but ultimately my favorite songs of theirs are the ones that marry the atmosphere of the music with the vocal.

Echo's Answer
Papercuts
The World Backwards
Look Outside
Illumination
Still Feels Like Tears
Unchanging Window

etc.

Then you look at a song like Corporeal. Keenan's vocal is as good on that song as any I've heard, and in fact it might be my single favourite Broadcast track. But can you imagine anyone else singing that song? I think the music/melody is pretty simple fare, and the instrumentation is nothing special. Thankfully the album version goes light on all those loud electronic sounds until the song's latter parts - when I saw them live last month it completely overwhelmed the song and the singer.

Point is, Keenan is what makes Broadcast go. It's at their peril that they've moved away from simple arrangements built around the vocal to these experimental noise collages.

However I think it's partly Keenan's doing, the direction they've taken now.

I have to listen to an interview posted on the Broadcast board before I pass judgment, but apparently House is going to be involved in their upcoming album too. Which doesn't thrill me.

Jan 04, 2011, 03:54

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index