Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
mellow Broadcast
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

Re: CP

But do you think bands should just be stagnant and formulaic? Don't you think they should challenge themselves and their listeners and try to broaden the horizons of both?

I think they know they are capable of creating finely-crafted pop songs. Exploring sound, defying traditional song structure, experimenting, are all things that I think will ultimately give them a fuller, more developed sound...I expect their next album will be an evolutionary step, much like Ha Ha Sound was.

Jan 04, 2011, 05:01

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
746 posts

Cheeso wrote:
But do you think bands should just be stagnant and formulaic?

I can't speak for CP obviously, but what I was trying to say elsewhere in this thread was that with an artist as compelling as Broadcast, for me the answer to this might actually be "yes" to an extent.

When the formula is as unique and strong as theirs was, I'd prefer they work within it and evolve it rather than veer so drastically towards experimentalism with each new step.

I guess this is blasphemous to those of us who think of ourselves as fans of music as art. A critic might never say it. But at least in this individual case it's how I feel.

Jan 04, 2011, 05:19

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

Cheeso wrote:
But do you think bands should just be stagnant and formulaic? Don't you think they should challenge themselves and their listeners and try to broaden the horizons of both?

I think they know they are capable of creating finely-crafted pop songs. Exploring sound, defying traditional song structure, experimenting, are all things that I think will ultimately give them a fuller, more developed sound...I expect their next album will be an evolutionary step, much like Ha Ha Sound was.

Of course they shouldn't be stagnant and formulaic, they never were. And you may be right about the new direction, as Trish talks about it in the interview. Might be a melding of pop plus found sounds. She says she thinks people (like me) will be happy with the new album, as well as people into the witch cults experimentation.

Here it here: Starts at 26:40
http://www.pbsfm.org.au/node/3131

Jan 04, 2011, 05:23

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

*Hear* it here...

Jan 04, 2011, 05:27

raygun
raygun
170 posts

Artists have to explore to define their bounderies.While I want more of the tried and true I understand that we are the spectators here.Trish must explore her art and that is commendable.Perhaps it is I who needs
to broaden the horizon. Hopefully,though,their future work will include a few bass percussion driven songs with Trish carrying the song instead of the sound effects.

Jan 04, 2011, 05:41

meanchico
meanchico
2697 posts

Re: mellow Broadcast

any word on when the new album will be released?

Jan 04, 2011, 14:55

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
The Be Colony is GREAT though.

rara ra rara ra.

Jan 04, 2011, 16:19

mirtchevman
mirtchevman
1725 posts

one of their best songs...

Jan 04, 2011, 16:23

MY RETURN
1963 posts

Mars Rover wrote:
vivakomeda wrote:
Disagree - that's what Broadcast is at this point. Saw em live last month and came away with this "there's no going back" feeling. They have gone from major pop band to abstract art project. A good art project, sure.

FWIW, to be fair(er) to House, I am not a fan of Tender Buttons either (two big exceptions: Corporeal and Tears in the Typing Pool). Clearly Keenan, and I guess Cargill, have taken the band down a certain path for a reason.

well, can't please'm all. i enjoyed the last one, and Tender Buttons is actually my favorite album of theirs.

Cheers to taste *clink*

I didn't like Tender Buttons at first. In fact, I gave it away. lol But, it grows on you. (rebought it for Christmas) :)

Jan 04, 2011, 19:23

mikka000
1084 posts

i don't think 'experimentalism' is necessarily a good thing in music and that term along with 'avant-garde' gets thrown around way too much. most of it sounds interesting when it is described in text (like in a wire review or article), but i find often the actual music is just really damn tedious.

Jan 04, 2011, 21:09

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index