Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
mellow Broadcast
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

raygun
raygun
170 posts

Re: mellow Broadcast

Think of how well that song is put together and how versatile it is. It could serve as a soundtrack to both a Western and a Sci-Fi movie.

Jan 04, 2011, 22:14

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

vivakomeda
744 posts

Agreed.

'Retro-futuristic' is another term that, when used by a journalist describing a band's sound, should put you on your guard right away.

Jan 04, 2011, 22:21

raygun
raygun
170 posts

Re: CP

cyberpainter wrote:
The Be Colony is GREAT though.

The song is pleasant, but it is weak and the tremlo is not effective in that it doesn't add to the cohesiveness of the song.

Jan 04, 2011, 22:25

raygun
raygun
170 posts

Referencing an old cliché “moderation is the key” I think applies to experimental noise in music as well. The goal should be to use the unique sounds to frame and provide emphasis to the equally important factors such as the vocals if not the bass & percussion foundation of the song as well. Imo Broadcast did a good job of this up until the collab with Focus Group. The experimentation with sound on that album seems pointless, but Be Colony and See So are okay. There have been some posts on the forum about a woman who broke ground on sound experimentation in the late 60s, but I cannot remember her name. I wonder if Trish is on a trip to be the reincarnation of her.

Jan 04, 2011, 22:52

vivakomeda
744 posts

Re: CP

Agreed. The first time I heard it I enjoyed it - but also came away feeling something that it was probably as close as they'd come to pursuing melody in the new recordings, and that even there they seemed intent on burying the song in the noise.

Jan 04, 2011, 23:32

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

OMG THEY'RE SO DIFFERENT NOW! i want the old Broadcast back. Too much noise and druggyness! They should just put "Come On Lets Go" on repeat 11 times for their next album!

* that was my super-assholish impression of some of you :) good natured ribbing, don't take offense.

Jan 05, 2011, 00:05

vivakomeda
744 posts

A minute of that was great. 60+ was not.

Have you seen them since the TB tour? Ie since they've started performing as a twosome?

Jan 05, 2011, 00:55

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

vivakomeda wrote:
A minute of that was great. 60+ was not.

Have you seen them since the TB tour? Ie since they've started performing as a twosome?

no, i haven't. saw some clips online. idk, i enjoy that kind of stuff, its different, eeerie and poetic in its own way. i don't expect them to be doing that ever again though. from their history, they don't stay stagnant. their next album will be different than the focus group side project, don't worry. i'm perfectly fine with them taking little artistic vacations here and there to experiment, in fact i'd be disappointed if they didn't. if they did the witch cults thing from now until eternity, yeah i'd be like WTF? where's the beef? but they won't. so it's totally cool to me what they are doing and what they will do. i'm looking forward to the next album, i'm sure it'll surprise some people.

Jan 05, 2011, 01:11

vivakomeda
744 posts

Mars Rover wrote:
i'm looking forward to the next album, i'm sure it'll surprise some people.

I hope so. I can't imagine that happening so long as J House has such a prominent role in things though.

Jan 05, 2011, 01:53

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5915 posts

raygun wrote:
There have been some posts on the forum about a woman who broke ground on sound experimentation in the late 60s, but I cannot remember her name. I wonder if Trish is on a trip to be the reincarnation of her.

You mean Delia Derbyshire?

Jan 05, 2011, 03:57

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index