Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
mellow Broadcast
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: Inside out

Hobobachang wrote:

Good, isn't it? I am happy with whatever Broadcast do next, as I enjoy both "versions" very much.

Having said that though, I do hope they go back to a full band sound for the next album, and hopefully with a tour as a four or five peice afterwards. I think if they combined the far-outness of the recent releases with more people onstage it would be really great :D

I think that is a good attitude to have. It is fine to have wishes about Broadcast but they seem pretty determined with their ideas and direction.
Much of what has been said here in this thread is somewhat negated by that XLR8R interview with Cargill. He is clearly involved in the creative process and undeterred by those who don't like it.
I think the fact that they are still evolving is a strength. If they don't always hit the heights we expect then that is a small price to pay in my opinion.
Listening to stuff on the Ghost Box label and some of the music on the Lunar Atrium site gives me a sense that Broadcast may incorporate more melodic electronic music at some stage. The Focus Group tends to be more short pieces that donít necessarily build a rhythm but acts like Belbury Poly certainly combine the experimentation with the melody. It might be interesting to see Broadcast team up with them.
In the end, it is good to know that we are still waiting to see what will happen with a band that formed long ago. I think Stereolab could take a leaf out of Broadcastís book; they are making some good songs but it is quite predictable these days.

Jan 08, 2011, 23:15

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

raygun
raygun
170 posts

I experienced some real deja vue when I listened to inside out. 40 years ago, the song See Emily Play by Pink Floyd. The bass & percussion riff is the same. (my I pod keeps warning--low battery) more on this later!

Jan 09, 2011, 05:39

raygun
raygun
170 posts

hito wrote:
Hobobachang wrote:

Good, isn't it? I am happy with whatever Broadcast do next, as I enjoy both "versions" very much.

Having said that though, I do hope they go back to a full band sound for the next album, and hopefully with a tour as a four or five peice afterwards. I think if they combined the far-outness of the recent releases with more people onstage it would be really great :D

I think that is a good attitude to have. It is fine to have wishes about Broadcast but they seem pretty determined with their ideas and direction.
Much of what has been said here in this thread is somewhat negated by that XLR8R interview with Cargill. He is clearly involved in the creative process and undeterred by those who don't like it.
I think the fact that they are still evolving is a strength. If they don't always hit the heights we expect then that is a small price to pay in my opinion.
Listening to stuff on the Ghost Box label and some of the music on the Lunar Atrium site gives me a sense that Broadcast may incorporate more melodic electronic music at some stage. The Focus Group tends to be more short pieces that donít necessarily build a rhythm but acts like Belbury Poly certainly combine the experimentation with the melody. It might be interesting to see Broadcast team up with them.
In the end, it is good to know that we are still waiting to see what will happen with a band that formed long ago. I think Stereolab could take a leaf out of Broadcastís book; they are making some good songs but it is quite predictable these days.

I like it just past the middle of the spectrum between pop and sound experimentation.

That XLR8R? interview would be interesting to read.

Actually, in my other reply I am not emplying in any way that any Pink floyd tracks were copied. Upon investigation there are not any direct simularities between the works of both groups other than the riff I found in See Emily play. It would be interesting to see whether Trish mentions PF in any interviews. I realize this is old hat and it can be said that Pink Floyds early works influenced all.

Jan 09, 2011, 15:49

hito
hito
1745 posts

raygun wrote:

That XLR8R? interview would be interesting to read.

This one that corporalclegg posted

http://stereolab.co.uk/forum/stereolab/topic/3037/threaded/34887

It's a watch rather than read interview. It is a good interview to really watch.

Jan 10, 2011, 13:27

raygun
raygun
170 posts

Thankyou. Yes. Another chapter in the Broadcast saga this be. Weird forces are at work. Broadcast fans shall re-calibrate for this journey enriched by cultural experiences from their past lives.

Jan 10, 2011, 14:27

MY RETURN
1963 posts

Re: mellow Broadcast

hito wrote:
I like most of those songs. I thought I would make a list of my own but found it hard to put it together. Is "the little bell" experimental? Isn't corporeal pretty experimental?

I love pretty much everything Broadcast does and like the direction they are heading in. But - like you - I do think they produce some great tunes and love that aspect of the band.

Doing a new listen, it reminds me a lot of Noise Made By People. The pattern seems to be pop, experimental, then back to pop. I like it.

Jan 13, 2011, 00:27

moonduck
moonduck
312 posts

Re: mellow Broadcast

After experiencing Broadcast to me Seeland is like going through the motions. He was a better as a guitarist.

Music as an art form does not always need a melody or a beat. If done well it creates an atmosphere for your own mind world.

Jan 13, 2011, 02:35

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

sounds like broadcast.

strange to read our conversation that we had on days before the tragedy.

this sounds very mellow-broadcasty.

The Churchills - 1969 (Israeli group)

Mikre Isha by lightactivity

another case of Broadcast being better than their influences. the second half in particular reminds me of "Tower of Our Tuning" from "The Noise Made By People"

Jan 19, 2011, 00:37

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

Re: sounds like broadcast.

Mars Rover wrote:

this sounds very mellow-broadcasty.

The Churchills - 1969 (Israeli group)

Mikre Isha by lightactivity

another case of Broadcast being better than their influences. the second half in particular reminds me of "Tower of Our Tuning" from "The Noise Made By People"

I like that. Yes, Broadcasty, but that organ is also very Rick Wrighty - another sad recent loss...(sigh)

Jan 19, 2011, 10:12

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index