Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
WTF? Arcade Fire wins a Grammy
Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

nsc283b
405 posts

Re: WTF? Arcade Fire wins a Grammy

Well, contrary to everyone else it seems, I do like Arcade Fire and would never say they are 'unoriginal'. However, I don't care whether they or anyone else wins a Grammy. It's just someones opinion as to who is worthy of such an award. Who are these people anyway and what makes them so special that they are able to make such a decision? All music is down to personal taste. What I find fantastic, a Grammy judge may think is crap. Is their opinion more valid than mine?

Feb 14, 2011, 21:08

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

nsc283b wrote:
Well, contrary to everyone else it seems, I do like Arcade Fire and would never say they are 'unoriginal'. However, I don't care whether they or anyone else wins a Grammy. It's just someones opinion as to who is worthy of such an award. Who are these people anyway and what makes them so special that they are able to make such a decision? All music is down to personal taste. What I find fantastic, a Grammy judge may think is crap. Is their opinion more valid than mine?

Apparently their opinion is way more valid than yours.

agree, but i don't like AF.

Feb 14, 2011, 21:11

GaryB2
GaryB2
2327 posts

I know. I hate awards and the media sleb fest that surrounds them. Uh.

Oh look, she's got a strapless Stella McArtney dress on. You can see her tits a wee bit. SO FUCK. Srsly.

Feb 14, 2011, 21:24

nsc283b
405 posts

Yes, certainly, and I expect they get PAID for their opinions.
It's the same with film reviews, tv reviews, and CD reviews. Again it's down to personal taste. I remember reading a totally ruthless, scathing review of Cobra in NME or some similar publication. It made me wonder what 'qualification' that person had to make his opinion more valid/important than anyone elses.

Feb 14, 2011, 21:28

MY RETURN
1963 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
I know. I hate awards and the media sleb fest that surrounds them. Uh.

Oh look, she's got a strapless Stella McArtney dress on. You can see her tits a wee bit. SO FUCK. Srsly.

lol I watched a few minutes for Mick Jagger. It was his first Grammy visit, which says enough in itself.

The Roots have more talent than Marshall Mathers. But, he's commercial for the suburbs. So I take it for what it is (fluff).

Feb 14, 2011, 21:28

Mars Rover
Mars Rover
1337 posts

nsc283b wrote:
Yes, certainly, and I expect they get PAID for their opinions.
It's the same with film reviews, tv reviews, and CD reviews. Again it's down to personal taste. I remember reading a totally ruthless, scathing review of Cobra in NME or some similar publication. It made me wonder what 'qualification' that person had to make his opinion more valid/important than anyone elses.

yeah...i don't get it at all. Sometimes i like to read reviews that are like a more educated and articulate version of my own feelings about an album. Its re-affirming. But, yeah...it's all just opinions.

Feb 14, 2011, 21:34

hito
hito
1745 posts

They seem the perfect choice to win a grammy. Slightly alternative but mainly pop. Credible music so Dad and his son can like it.

I don't want to knock anyone's right to like it. I just think it is the epitome of Grammy music.

Feb 17, 2011, 09:34

flatironsteak
flatironsteak
341 posts

How is it slightly alternative? Like they look like a bunch of construction workers that don't dress like lady gaga?

Feb 17, 2011, 11:37

hito
hito
1745 posts

I think that is my point. Other nominees or winners in history are people like Smashing Pumkins, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, U2, Foo fighters. They have that look that says, I'm a bit classic, a bit weird but normal enough for your Dad not to shout "bunch of faggots" at the TV screen. Agreed?

Feb 17, 2011, 11:56

raygun
raygun
170 posts

I don't care for AF either, but my S.O. loves them so I listen to them all the time. At the risk of sounding flipant the world that loves the Grammy is like a parallel universe right here beside us which we can move through at will or sometimes it envelops us.

Feb 17, 2011, 13:35

Pages: 3 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index