Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
More CREATIVITY board.
Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5933 posts

Re: More CREATIVITY board.

Ok, I know I'm feeding someone who shouldn't be fed, but I think you'd also be one to have posts deleted. No? Would that be absurd? Have you written nasty things, or even created whole threads aimed at being rude to one person? Why yes, yes you have. Hmm, I guess I'd be requesting some posts to be deleted. Um, moderator sir/ma'am, could you get rid of such and such a post by a person who was obnoxious and rude to me? Oh well, maybe it would end up being a more complex job than one might think.

cyberpainter wrote:
Good luck getting those 3 to apologize

hito wrote:
You can talk

Really, you still insist I should apologize for have subtlety in my opinion about moderation on two different boards, different sets of circumstances, and after your rudeness to me? Right.

cyberpainter wrote:
Cheeso turns up to use abusive language

hito wrote:
That you condone and rely on. Anyway, you use abusive langauge yourself so I don't see where you get off talking about other people swearing.

I never have or will condone or rely on cheeso's rudeness. If I choose not to respond to it sometimes, it's no different than anyone else choosing not to. That includes everyone on this board at one time or another. And no, I don't use abusive language as a rule. Although I'm sure you could dredge something up from the past if you decided to obsessively do a hunt. And as for where I get off doing this or that, you are apparently the expert on my behavior. But don't be so sure everyone agrees with you.

cyberpainter wrote:
pikey.

hito wrote:
Yawn.

cyberpainter wrote:
immediately claim me as being on their "side"

hito wrote:
Oh lordy me. Woe is you. Why I never. To think of it. Claiming you? How dare they? Surely they should know better than to be so presumptuous as to claim a person of your station and character. Why, you're friends with none other than Martin Pike...

Let's be frank. It is quite obvious who you side with and who is on your side

You can try to be "frank", but your opinions are far off the mark as usual. As is your inexplicable disdain and sarcasm towards me. I never once said I was personal friends with Martin. I have discussed the board with him, and have had various communications with him over the years, which is all I have claimed in the past. We all have talked with Martin if we've been fans long enough, he's a very friendly guy and I like him a lot. He's also the only person moderating this board, and I feel I know what his view on that is, to be mostly hands off.

As far as your other typically nasty comments, I like most of the people on here, respect them, and consider them my friends, and I think they feel the same, that is all. However I don't see things in terms of "sides". Some people see things with a bit more subtlety.

cyberpainter wrote:
We all put up with the ebbs and flows on here if we want the freedom from restrictive moderation.

hito wrote:
This is ridiculous. To equate all moderation with restrictive moderation. I have read some of your insights lately into the obvious problem of this forum being swamped by inane ramblings and find your "Growing Pains" style advice a bit painful. It is clearly not difficult to delete posts. I know your regular dinner companion, Pikey is too busy but it would take me all of ten minutes to delete the sludge from the last couple of weeks. As I said before, GaryB 1 and 2 for moderator of this forum.

And of course your view of what should be deleted would have some weight? Your opinion, or a moderators opinion of "sludge"? When stuff moves off the front page, it's generally "gone" unless you or someone else with an ax to grind dredges it up. How far into the past would the reach go? Yes, some of the stuff recently has been annoying and hard to look past. But the same thing could be said for other types of personalities on here, who feel they have great posts.

How would you feel if a moderator deleted some of your obnoxiousness toward me?

cyberpainter wrote:
We all have a myriad of personalities.

hito wrote:
Do we all have a myriad of personalities? All of us? Many personalities? Did you ever see that episode of the Young Ones where Rik is wearing yellow overalls and talking about how crazy everybody is, as if it is so cool?

Obviously I meant there are different types of people on this board, just as there is in life. Some things, such as the types of things you write, we just have to put up with apparently.

Apr 02, 2011, 18:41

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Dara
Dara
905 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Ok, I know I'm feeding someone who shouldn't be fed...

These are all reasonable, logical and fair things to say in my humble opinion Cyberpainter, especially in the light of the terrible accusations that were levelled at you by the person in question. The solution as always is just ignore the trolls - if you feed them, they get stronger.

But this is a waste of time and energy isn't it?. Nothing is going to stop the trolling - it never has. The way this board has always worked is that it is unmoderated except for when it gets really bad and then Martin has to decide as he has in the past whether it is good for the Groop to continue with it or get rid of it. For example, when a member (and I think we all know who it was) posted the horrific and now infamous image of the 'Scat Jesus' (although actually something Gilbert and George would have been proud of I'm sure), it obviously had to go - and quick.

Perhaps we should picture the future of a fully moderated board and imagine what it would be like based on the comments from exponents of moderation so far:

Only about Stereolab and closely related music and influences.

No swearing or bad language of any kind.

Only perfect spelling and grammar allowed and only in the ENGLISH language.

No posting of inane or irrelevant video sources

no 'insane' stream of consciousness rantings - no matter how poetic.

...and so on ad infinitum.

Would this be a forum we would all still visit and post regularly to? I think for some people yes, for some definitely no.

OK - I'm going to stick my neck out here a bit and give an example - at the moment, 75% of the stuff on the forum is absolute and total bullshit. Some of it is not even intelligible and the rest is way off topic or the kind of thing that makes new visitors to this forum think - What? wtf is this all about?

Now, 70% of that 75% (all percentages estimated to make a point) is posted by the following:

s_lush_s,

78sluss,

Eddie Chargeman,

Victim of Band

..and probably a few new ones which seem to be appearing every week.

The thing is, as most of the old stalwarts know full well, these are are THE SAME PERSON - namely s_lush_s. She happens to be one of the true fans on this board, has been posting here for years and has even on one occasion travelled from the US to see them in Brighton UK with no ticket!. She obviously has some serious psychological issues to deal with (has said so herself) and I think this is the cause of her sometimes unbearably sad posts.

So what do we do - as GaryB suggests, ban her and support the likes of members who reply to her tragic manic rantings with 'seriously - stfu'?. That to me is incompatible with the political and social stance of Stereolab as a groop, which has always been amongst other things, anti-homophobic, inclusive, non racist or sexist, non violent - and HALF French!. LIBERTE EGALITE SOEU/FRATERNITE. Why there is so much chauvinism about posting in English (and perfect English at that) I will never understand.

For me - this forum still gives me great things every day and I will try to give something good back whenever I can. But I just ignore the bad stuff now, I just find it tiresome and depressing. I would almost certainly still visit a moderated version if it was interesting enough - but I think the human dynamics between the various characters on here make it unique at the moment. It is a beacon of free speech in the 'Golden Age' of a free internet.

I am sure it is under scrutiny from media watchers, writers and other artists alike for that reason. I for one would think it sad to lose that for the sake of some corporate 'STASI' style party line over what can and cannot be written - and I am sure there is no danger of that - if you need any confirmation just listen to the lyrics.

Apr 02, 2011, 19:57

Dara
Dara
905 posts

In order to try and make some kind of positive suggestions instead of speaking broadly in general terms I have thought about these issues in the last couple of weeks while casually glancing at the general melee here:

The BOTE/MY Return/Cheeso/SquirellMnutter thing:

Ok what BOTE did all those years ago was terrible and upset a lot of people - including me. But there are many instances in society of terrible deeds being forgiven and the perpetrators reintegrated into society to make a positive contribution. That is the basis of the western prison system. For example Patrick McGee - aka the Brighton Bomber. Notwithstanding your political views on what he did - he is now an emissary for peace and understanding - conduction lecture tours of the UK and Ireland and the US to build bridges and promote understanding. Things change. People change.

BOTE is not going to go away. Even if banned, all he has to do is sign in under a new name. Maybe if he opened up a bit about who he is and what he feels about all this - that may help. Then perhaps we can accept his presence here a little more easily.As far as I can see, he has mellowed and although he does post some pretty inane stuff, some of it is interesting and it has to be said - he has started a thread in the past week which has 32 posts to date - that's more than i have ever had in the 13 or so years I have been posting here.

I don't know - all I'm saying is that this quote from Stevie Hawking on Pink Floyd's the Division Bell seems to ring true - "It doesn't have to be like this, All we need to do is make sure we keep talking"

S_lush_S:

Lets talk. Without any personal details involved of course. Maybe it would be better for all of us if we talked more openly about what it is to be s_lush_s and Eddie Chargeman and 78 sluss et al - maybe we can all support her and make things more positive instead of this dark climate of antipathy and prejudice. We all used to. There were times when some of us were very worried for her and that seemed to me to be the kind of atmosphere I wanted to continue to be part of.

Or maybe at the end of the day - it is time for a hiatus with the forum too. I hope not, I love it here - and I like and respect all of you in a multitude of different ways, and even though I may not agree with everything you say - but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Apr 02, 2011, 20:31

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5933 posts

I shouldn't have responded, I always tell myself that later when my impulse gets the best of me. And when I do it in conversation style, it just invites more of the same.

I don't think 78 and slushy are the same person. I could be wrong of course.

Apr 02, 2011, 20:35

Dara
Dara
905 posts

this is to celebrate my 200th post:

********yeeeehaaaaar**************

and to apologise for the little mistakes I made in my last two posts (one 'but' too many and another one I can't remember now)

Apr 02, 2011, 20:42

Dara
Dara
905 posts

I think you'll find they are....

Apr 02, 2011, 20:43

wracket
wracket
1427 posts

Dara wrote:

Just out of curiosity, do you have some IP-related way to verify that? Or is it simple mosaic theory?

Apr 02, 2011, 20:46

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5933 posts

Congrats, 200 on the pink screen!

And on the other matter, how can you be sure? "He" posted a long time ago also, and I seem to remember his link to a twitter account that didn't sound at all like her. But like I said, I could be very wrong. Could have been a link to someone else's twitter for instance.

Apr 02, 2011, 20:51

Dara
Dara
905 posts

wracket wrote:
Dara wrote:

Just out of curiosity, do you have some IP-related way to verify that? Or is it simple mosaic theory?

It is mostly down to the spelling (consistent faults) the frequency of replies to slushy's other persona's posts, a trawl through the history and some other clues in content, reference and times...

elementary deduction but of course not conclusive, and that supports my suggestion that there is perhaps a need for dialogue in a positive way on this matter, rather than aggressive negativity towards some posters/personas.

Apr 02, 2011, 20:51

Dara
Dara
905 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Congrats, 200 on the pink screen!

And on the other matter, how can you be sure? "He" posted a long time ago also, and I seem to remember his link to a twitter account that didn't sound at all like her. But like I said, I could be very wrong. Could have been a link to someone else's twitter for instance.

Thanks CP!! *drinking a beer*

Yes - well the gender difference is not unusual (eddie) etc - but even so, the fact remains that there is a lot of pollution generated by slushy these days and I really respect her, I'm really proud of her too - but I must say, even I am getting sick of now too - I feel like my brain has been zapped by an electromagnetic pulse cannon every time I read one of her posts these days...

(still would never call for her to be banned tho)

Apr 02, 2011, 20:56

Pages: 9 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index