Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
your music spectrum
Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

your music spectrum

Saint Etienne is as close as I get to main stream pop. Ladytron likewise to electronic music. With hard rock and program it's is hard to find my limits. I don't like Judis Priest! My metal border is Dream Theater. It would be fun to know the outer limits of your music spectrum. Stereolab is my happy medium point.

Apr 06, 2011, 03:23

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

Re: your music spectrum

jauntymonty wrote:
Saint Etienne is as close as I get to main stream pop. Ladytron likewise to electronic music. With hard rock and program it's is hard to find my limits. I don't like Judis Priest! My metal border is Dream Theater. It would be fun to know the outer limits of your music spectrum. Stereolab is my happy medium point.

addendum: ...hard rock and prog...

Apr 06, 2011, 03:25

Cheeso
Cheeso
642 posts

Anything but contemporary country music, the white album, and the brown album.

Apr 06, 2011, 03:27

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

Cheeso wrote:

I am surrounded by country here in Nashville, but don't listen to it when I have a choice. What's wrong iyo with the White Album? Riding on past glory instead of producing something intuitive? Rap music...? I dwell on the music composition on lieu of the all important lyrics.

Apr 06, 2011, 03:50

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1224 posts

Cheeso wrote:

I generally like country music made before 1975. After that, it gets pretty dodgy (though Willie did manage a few darn good albums since then).

On a completely different side of the spectrum, the Boredoms definitely straddle a line for me:

I can still dig it:

WAY TOO MUCH:

Apr 06, 2011, 04:38

hito
hito
1745 posts

jauntymonty wrote:

I wonder where you have drawn the line. It seems somewhat random. What makes Judas Priest bad but Dream Theater good? Anyway, whatever floats your boat. And more importantly, good topic.

I think I have a pretty wide spectrum. I don't deliberately set any limits. If I liked a song by a mainstream pop artist then that would be okay with me. I guess I never really hear it unless I walk into a shop so I don't give it much of a chance of entering my canon.

I tend not to like grindcore stuff like Cannibal Corpse but again I don't ever want to say never. I heard a fair bit of it back in the early nineties but it just did not gel. I don't get to hear it much these days.

I would like to say my spectrum is pretty broad really because I like some rock, metal, techno, electronic, hip hop, noise, industrial, prog and the list goes on. But of course, there is a lot I don't like within those genres and somebody else probably is more extreme than me.

I would say it has been a long time since a rap album has impressed me but I just think I don't need to hear another person getting on the mic to tell me what they are going to do when they get on the mic. I also don't need to hear anybody telling me how rich they are or how great they are or what they are like in the sack. Having said that, there was some great political rap. I don't think much of that is happening now.

Apr 06, 2011, 12:15

Babylon01
Babylon01
183 posts

My music spectrum is not broad -which is one reason I like coming here, as there's such a wealth of taste posted.

Anything that has something in common with retro lounge soundtrack 'The Sound Gallery' pretty well sums up my spectrum these days -pretty narrow, as I say.

Apr 06, 2011, 12:32

hito
hito
1745 posts

What is the sound gallery?

Apr 06, 2011, 12:37

Babylon01
Babylon01
183 posts

Errr -if I could link a video of one of the tracks I would -here is the Amazon link

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sound-Gallery-Various-Artists/dp/B000000IAK

It's remarkably cheesy yet also very funky in places.

Apr 06, 2011, 12:41

meanchico
meanchico
2697 posts

I'm all over the place.

I'm anxiously awaiting the new Lady Gaga album. Elton John makes me cringe. The Shaggs and a barrage of other outsider music has been in heavy rotation for the past 2 yrs. Def Leppard and my Power Ballads double album will sound great on hot summer nights. I've been picking up Missy Elliott albums lately and am looking forward to seeing Sade this August. I'm slowly opening up to jazz finally. So nice to finally hear stuff that has a bit of focus. I desperately need the Connie Francis/Hank Williams album in mp3 format. Jim Ed Brown and Browns bring a lump to my throat every time I hear them.

none of this new country stuff, death metal or Jack Johnson crap. I'd also like to slap the record company that shit out that Kesha person.

Apr 06, 2011, 13:36

Pages: 3 – [ 1 2 3 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index