Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
What are we listening to this week?
Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Icepulse
Icepulse
166 posts

Re: What are we listening to this week?

I think S'Lab certainly could say they've learned from Todd:

May 01, 2011, 12:43

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Bytor Peltor
Bytor Peltor
165 posts

May 01, 2011, 13:39

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

I am familiar with all of those albums: much of it good, but rarely listened to these days. You could also add the recent 'Liars' to that list.

The egalitarian prog excess of early Utopia make them unlistenable to my ears. Edgier, new-wave stylings on later albums: Ooops Sorry Wrong Planet, Adventures, Swing To The Right, Oblivion and POV are all good albums. Without doubt His Toddness contributed the majority of the best material on those records. My affection for that band stems from the singing: 4 great voices singly and uniquely - in unison.

May 01, 2011, 14:37

Icepulse
Icepulse
166 posts

microbehunter wrote:
I am familiar with all of those albums: much of it good, but rarely listened to these days. You could also add the recent 'Liars' to that list.

The egalitarian prog excess of early Utopia make them unlistenable to my ears. Edgier, new-wave stylings on later albums: Ooops Sorry Wrong Planet, Adventures, Swing To The Right, Oblivion and POV are all good albums. Without doubt His Toddness contributed the majority of the best material on those records. My affection for that band stems from the singing: 4 great voices singly and uniquely - in unison.

Frankly, Roger Powell's voice is like John Wetton with a sinus infection, Willie Wilcox has a passable rock voice, and Kas Sulton's singing is the aural equivalent of "chewing the scenery".

I love everything from "Adventures" on, nonetheless. The self-titled, 3-sided "Utopia" album (just before "Oblivion") is a pop masterpiece.

"Liars" suffers from two major problems; Todd's refusal to abandon these occasional Marvin Gaye affectations that he began pursuing w/ "Lost Horizon" (from his '84 "A Capella album), and a huge decline in lyrical integrity. A lot of the words on "Liars" bug me. He can do better, and has, with his last album "Arena".

May 01, 2011, 15:51

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

Icepulse wrote:

Frankly, Roger Powell's voice is like John Wetton with a sinus infection, Willie Wilcox has a passable rock voice, and Kas Sulton's singing is the aural equivalent of "chewing the scenery".

hahahahahaha "aural equivalent of chewing the scenery". I'm gonna put that witty metaphoritis away in the toolbox, and use it tonight. Also, Powell's sinus problem must have temporarily cleared when he took the lead mic for 'Zen Machine'. A sterling performance :)

May 01, 2011, 16:34

Icepulse
Icepulse
166 posts

My face on POV is the "Cassette-only" track, "Man Of Action".

May 01, 2011, 17:01

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

Yeah that track is a cracker. Best heard very loud.

Fortunately I have the double CD with all the bonus tracks.

May 01, 2011, 17:05

Icepulse
Icepulse
166 posts

May 03, 2011, 14:42

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

May 04, 2011, 23:18

lereostab
lereostab
984 posts

Ornette Coleman: The Shape of Jazz to Come.
Herbie Hancock: Headhunters.
Von Sudenfed: Tromatic Reflexxions.
Klaus Schulze: Moondawn.
OHM: The Early Gurus of Electronic Music, 3cd boxset.

May 04, 2011, 23:45

Pages: 6 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index