Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Osama Bin Laden dead?
Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

hito
hito
1745 posts

Re: Osama Bin Laden dead?

wracket wrote:
Cheeso wrote:
Are you naive, hito, or ignorant? You're not suggesting that the US has set some precedent here, are you?

What he's suggesting is that the US should lead by example while it still finds itself in a global leadership role.

To quote Captain Beefheart:

"That's right"

Thanks, wracket.

But not just the US. All countries that come from a liberal, democratic tradition. I was predictably disappointed by my country's PM who "welcomed" the death of OBL. We have a duty to stick to our own principles and promote an ethical way of life to others, especially if we want that from them.
So Rael_, the US didn't start the bad behaviour, nor does it have a monopoly on it but it does set some kind of precedent, norm or guideline by performing assassinations. Don't you agree?

May 05, 2011, 07:55

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

New Yorkers be proud

I love this response by the public on the New York subway to some twat trying to drum up a bit of jingoistic fervour. Citizens of New York be proud of yourselves (I mean this seriously) - I thought it was only us Londoners who did that bored indifference thing.

May 05, 2011, 10:01

Icepulse
Icepulse
166 posts

Re: New Yorkers be proud

"'You're Welcome' to all the military"..?

Oof.

May 05, 2011, 10:37

wracket
wracket
1426 posts

Nice subtle "flipping of the bird" near the end by the guy holding onto the pole (not the obvious one right at the end). I'm a big fan of such "oops, in holding this bar my middle finger was extended alone"/"oops, I just used my middle finger to scratch my ear" techniques. Deniability is key.

May 05, 2011, 16:54

c in dc
c in dc
1032 posts

wracket wrote:
Nice subtle "flipping of the bird" near the end by the guy holding onto the pole (not the obvious one right at the end). I'm a big fan of such "oops, in holding this bar my middle finger was extended alone"/"oops, I just used my middle finger to scratch my ear" techniques. Deniability is key.

May 05, 2011, 17:06

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

wracket wrote:
Cheeso wrote:
Are you naive, hito, or ignorant? You're not suggesting that the US has set some precedent here, are you?

What he's suggesting is that the US should lead by example while it still finds itself in a global leadership role.

I know that, wracket. But he acts like this is the first time something like this has happened.

And I don't agree that bin laden was "assassinated." He was a murderer of innocent men, women, and children, and he was brought to justice.

May 05, 2011, 17:17

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

ha ha LOL! USA USA! There you go dude. oh I'm not a New Yorker

May 05, 2011, 17:20

wracket
wracket
1426 posts

Squirrel M. Nutter wrote:
I know that, wracket. But he acts like this is the first time something like this has happened.

Well, to the neutral observer it can sometimes seem as though you get aggressive with certain forumites regardless of what they are saying, simply because you have already decided that you don't like the cut of their jib.

May 05, 2011, 17:49

Kazak
Kazak
1618 posts

'Caught that too! lol

May 05, 2011, 17:51

Squirrel M. Nutter
890 posts

wracket wrote:
Squirrel M. Nutter wrote:

Well, to the neutral observer it can sometimes seem as though you get aggressive with certain forumites regardless of what they are saying, simply because you have already decided that you don't like the cut of their jib.

No, I think hito started to make an interesting point, but he ended up being rather glib about it. I mean, it would be nice if it was all so simple and black and white, yes?

it's an ugly game, we are all caught up in it. It's as old as mankind itself, probably.

May 05, 2011, 17:52

Pages: 12 – [ Previous | 17 8 9 10 11 12 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index