Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Osama Bin Laden dead?
118 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Icepulse
Icepulse
166 posts

Re: Osama Bin Laden dead?

hito wrote:
Icepulse wrote:
hito wrote:
...the west has shown that we think killing is a way to solve problems.

Yes... the west.

hito wrote:
One death is nothing but a bag of bones in the ocean. 1000 deaths is a stack of bones on some dirt. 1 million deaths is a bigger stack.

That sounds so positively existentialist, I have to wonder which of your remarks reflects your perspective!

a) Yes, the west. Read the earlier post in full to get the explanation.
b)Yes. Why wouldn't they be my perspective?

Perhaps you could come up with a thesis rather than simply playing the man.

I read your post, hito. I simply don't feel that it explains anything. My earlier post posits the perspective taken by intelligent Americans, with regard to the thing being "celebrated". It's more than the death of one cad; it's the destruction of an idea that is toxic to civilized society.

hito wrote:
One death is nothing but a bag of bones in the ocean. 1000 deaths is a stack of bones on some dirt. 1 million deaths is a bigger stack.
implies that you are either being facetious, or that you understand the insignificance of the speck that is our generation, in the scheme of time. But which? If the former, then it is your thesis that seems pointless. If the latter, then you contradict yourself.

Regardless, it strikes me as disingenuous when someone cries foul at the extermination of a creature who does nothing with his time on earth, but to devise horrible ways of exterminating other people, en masse, with indiscriminate ease. I'm a hardcore liberal, but I look at people who are expressing exultation over this issue, and at least it feels genuine. When I read comments that express disgust, I have a terrible feeling that I'm staring into the face of nonchalant hypocrisy; that you really don't give a tinker's shit about this person, and that you're just looking for some excuse to devalue the feelings of the common man.

At least they feel something.

I'm not singling anyone out. But the notion of human life being SO valuable that even the most deplorable of villains deserve to go right on living.... Well, that strikes me as fairly fundamentalist. I seriously doubt that even the greatest history's thinkers would support the view.

May 02, 2011, 23:15

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: