Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
A HEARTFELT APOLOGY TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

jauntymonty
jauntymonty
1623 posts

Re: A HEARTFELT APOLOGY TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS

Requiem for Cheeso:

May 17, 2011, 18:05

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Icepulse
Icepulse
166 posts

microbehunter wrote:
DevastatorJr. wrote:
I've never listened to any of that Peter Gabriel era Genesis, (or any Genesis really,) what's the good album?

You might be better asking Icepurse or some other prog expert. Personally I wouldn't touch this dated music with a barge-pole. It's leaden, stodgy and about as sexy as a skunk breaking wind.

But everything is dated, from Genesis to the Ramones to Stereolab.

Genesis was a lot more flavorful than Yes, though IMHO, because Gabriel was a lot less about New-age mystical shit, and a lot more conscious of his society. A lot like Stereolab, actually. Hence "Selling England By The Pound".

I would recommend that record to anyone who otherwise finds prog to be absurd. That, and KC's "Larks Tongues In Aspic".

I find most prog to be stilted and noodling, but like most sub-genres, there's always a few rubies in the lard.

Look at Gabriel. He always was on the bleeding edge of music, unlike Jon Anderson, who still flounces around in a poet's shirt and sings about trees.

May 17, 2011, 19:30

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

In general, I find the lyrics in prog to be a load of shit. Mysticism, wizards etc, yeah, whatever. Musically, however, some of that stuff just blows my tiny mind.

May 17, 2011, 19:37

Icepulse
Icepulse
166 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
In general, I find the lyrics in prog to be a load of shit. Mysticism, wizards etc, yeah, whatever. Musically, however, some of that stuff just blows my tiny mind.

It's exactly what sets Gabriel apart, though.

May 17, 2011, 19:56

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

GaryB2 wrote:

Same here. I never did get the lyrics, but taking Yes as an example, the timing of the bass and percussion with the interworkings of strings and keys was never disappointing and with a classical feel in a superficial sort of way, yet not tied to any classical works that one can validate.

May 17, 2011, 20:03

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

I need to check out early Genesis. Thanks.

May 17, 2011, 20:12

Babylon01
Babylon01
183 posts

I disliked 'The Yes Album' intensely when I got it years ago, but perhaps it's time to re-listen.

Could anyone recommend a single prog album as definitvely worth a go?

It seems to be the Gabriel Lamb etc on Broadway, reading the posts.

I don't think I can overcome an ingrained loathing (or perhaps gnawing irritation is fairer) for Phil Collins, which rules some? all? of Genesis out.

May 17, 2011, 20:43

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

Icepulse wrote:

But everything is dated, from Genesis to the Ramones to Stereolab.

Genesis was a lot more flavorful than Yes, though IMHO, because Gabriel was a lot less about New-age mystical shit, and a lot more conscious of his society. A lot like Stereolab, actually. Hence "Selling England By The Pound".

I would recommend that record to anyone who otherwise finds prog to be absurd. That, and KC's "Larks Tongues In Aspic".

I find most prog to be stilted and noodling, but like most sub-genres, there's always a few rubies in the lard.

Look at Gabriel. He always was on the bleeding edge of music, unlike Jon Anderson, who still flounces around in a poet's shirt and sings about trees.

This is going waaaay deeper than I really want to go with this :

Rather like a smack-head who kicks the habit... I kicked years of prog-listening and consigned it to my personal dustbin where it belongs. Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, Rush, ELP, Floyd.. of its time some serious talent here. Listening back though is like looking at hugely embarassing photo's of one's younger self... did I really wear that shirt ? did I really have a mullet ? Remember intensly hating the 'crossover' Abacab album when it came out. I wanted acoustic guitars, flutes, mowers and garden gates not horns and 4-minute pop songs. Before they went too "pop" this is the only Genesis album that gets played in my house. I have the re-master and some it sounds fantastic. One moves on and discover's looser, funkier, more interesting music's and hell, you might even see one or two female's in the audience.

Oh yeah ... there were never any revolving drum-riser's, flowing capes, lasers, flying-daggers, dry-ice or turkish carpets for the bass player to stand on in the Court of the Crimson King. KC WERE NEVER PROG !

I've spent all day dissing them. Just listened to this and it still tingles. Just don't ask me to sit through the whole of Supper's Ready !

May 17, 2011, 20:59

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1217 posts

GaryB2 wrote:
I need to check out early Genesis. Thanks.

Me, too. I sort of wrote them off after my third-grade infatuation with "Invisible Touch" - but it sounds like I'm well overdue to give them another listen. Let me throw in some more appreciation to all the folks giving recommendations on this.

May 17, 2011, 21:06

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1217 posts

Babylon01 wrote:

Could anyone recommend a single prog album as definitvely worth a go?

If inane lyrics are a hang-up for you, then you ought to check out Magma, who transcend bad lyrics by singing their preposterous space operas in a made up language...

Thanks to Cybele & JS for turning me on to these guys a while back. The "Mekan´k Destrukt´w Kommand÷h" album is actually pretty cool in it's own very special way:

May 17, 2011, 21:20

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index