Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
A HEARTFELT APOLOGY TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS
Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

wracket
wracket
1425 posts

Re: A HEARTFELT APOLOGY TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS

Abacab was the first LP I ever owned.

May 17, 2011, 21:22

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

Dara
Dara
905 posts

microbehunter wrote:
Just listened to this and it still tingles. Just don't ask me to sit through the whole of Supper's Ready !

Just sat through the whole of 'Supper's Ready' and that still tingles too!. All the early stuff was brilliant in my remembering - mid period stuff was special too, esp. 'Wind and Wuthering' and 'A trick of the Tail' were beautiful in parts too - I love Ripples, Entangled, Unquiet slumbers... and Afterglow. Maybe it's just that I have fused these two releases with some of the best memories of my life and every time I hear them it takes me back to then - ahh nostalgia, the keynote of the age...

BTW. the SACD surround sound versions of these albums released in 2006 are absolutely bl**dy fantastic...

BTW2: Good to hear you have seen the light after all this time CheesO - I knew all along you didn't mean all those horrid things you said about poor old John Lennon ;0)

May 17, 2011, 22:29

Icepulse
Icepulse
166 posts

microbehunter wrote:

This is going waaaay deeper than I really want to go with this :

Then why torture yourself?

microbehunter wrote:
Rather like a smack-head who kicks the habit... I kicked years of prog-listening and consigned it to my personal dustbin where it belongs. Genesis, Yes, Gentle Giant, Rush, ELP, Floyd..

I know this story. You heard it years ago, and you were impressed with the complexity and virtuosity.... Then you started hanging around w/ other kids who turned you on to more eclectic stuff, but were so equally narrow about what they were trained to think about the "overblown pompousness" of prog, that they shat upon the whole epoch, indiscriminately, and you rode the trolly, throwing out the baby with the bathwater.
microbehunter wrote:
Listening back though is like looking at hugely embarassing photo's of one's younger self... did I really wear that shirt ? did I really have a mullet ?

Being embarrassed of what you "were" is an indication of self-loathing that has more to do with who you ARE than who you WERE.

microbehunter wrote:
Remember intensly hating the 'crossover' Abacab album when it came out. I wanted acoustic guitars, flutes, mowers and garden gates not horns and 4-minute pop songs. Before they went too "pop" this is the only Genesis album that gets played in my house.

You must not care a whole lot about lyrical content then, because Abacab does feature a lot of innovative musicianship, but lyrically, it's in the goddamn toilet.

microbehunter wrote:
Oh yeah ... there were never any revolving drum-riser's, flowing capes, lasers, flying-daggers, dry-ice or turkish carpets for the bass player to stand on in the Court of the Crimson King. KC WERE NEVER PROG !

This remark makes its own comedy gravy. I don't even need to clarify why it's so obtuse.

Don't be angry. I'm only analyzing your analysis.

May 17, 2011, 23:08

Icepulse
Icepulse
166 posts

Oh wait! That last Madonna HBO SPECIAL had revolving platforms, lasers, flowing capes....

What a great Prog show!!

May 17, 2011, 23:15

corporalclegg
corporalclegg
501 posts

I always liked this performance. First time watching since many VHS moons ago.

May 17, 2011, 23:24

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

hahahahaha

You want to do something about that 'inferiority complex' kiddo

All malignant growths, unless treated ... tend to feed on themselves.

May 17, 2011, 23:28

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5913 posts

Babylon01 wrote:

I don't think I can overcome an ingrained loathing (or perhaps gnawing irritation is fairer) for Phil Collins, which rules some? all? of Genesis out.

I thought he just played drums until Peter Gabriel left?

May 18, 2011, 05:50

Icepulse
Icepulse
166 posts

cyberpainter wrote:
Babylon01 wrote:

I don't think I can overcome an ingrained loathing (or perhaps gnawing irritation is fairer) for Phil Collins, which rules some? all? of Genesis out.

He plays drums from the 3rd album on, and sings back-up, (lead on one track only until Gabriel leaves, 3 albums later).

May 18, 2011, 10:36

Icepulse
Icepulse
166 posts

Icepulse wrote:
cyberpainter wrote:
Babylon01 wrote:

He plays drums from the 3rd album on, and sings back-up, (lead on one track only until Gabriel leaves, 3 albums later).

And sorely under-rated as a drummer he is, too. I can't stand his solo output or later Genesis, but you can't take that away.

May 18, 2011, 10:39

anomaly
47 posts

Come back and haunt us sometime. :)

You seem sincere. The forum can walk a higher road with more emphasis on sharing information. I like the folks who can poke each other without getting into a battle of words.

Thanks

The Green Ghost

May 18, 2011, 12:40

Pages: 7 – [ Previous | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index