Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Stereolab at the height of their fame?
Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

matthew6
matthew6
1909 posts

Stereolab at the height of their fame?

Seems to me that they hit during 95/96 - the ETK era? I get the impression that there was a buzz about them at the time. Is it fair to say that it is similar to what Arcade Fire has achieved in the last few year?

Perhaps if they had tried a more commerical route, they could have capitalized on this momentary popularity.

I wonder what a purely commercial 'sell out' album by Stereolab would sound like? Maybe not that bad. They should get back together and try it.

May 19, 2011, 05:38

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5940 posts

Re: Stereolab at the height of their fame?

I would guess French Disko is probably their most popular song.

May 19, 2011, 06:11

flatironsteak
flatironsteak
343 posts

ETK didn't get a Grammy, or what ever similar. It is such a big thing for people following pop music.

I do think that internet has helped a lot for the more recent musicians for getting expoosure and popularity. It is really hard to gauge fame with the changing standard.

By the way I think Acrade Fire is not nearly as experimental to be called alternative nor as 1/5 as great as Stereolab as tune making. I assume that people would agree on that with me? Perhaps it is the lyrics that weird people out.

May 19, 2011, 06:20

matthew6
matthew6
1909 posts

flatironsteak wrote:

By the way I think Acrade Fire is not nearly as experimental to be called alternative nor as 1/5 as great as Stereolab as tune making. I assume that people would agree on that with me? Perhaps it is the lyrics that weird people out.

Their latest album is growing on me, but they are not nearly adventerous (to my ears) as Stereolab. Actually a lot of their music is quite monotonous.

May 19, 2011, 06:26

matthew6
matthew6
1909 posts

cyberpainter wrote:

was dressing up as a Roman Centurion a 90's thing?

May 19, 2011, 06:36

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

Dots and Loops, and it's subsequent tour ? I seem to recall Stereolab threatening Oasis and Blur for world domination.

My 90s introduction Stereolab and a few others was through listening to the BBCs London Live. A fabulous evening/night radio station, it's rooster of DJs treating us to contemporary, krautrock, prog, fusion, jazz and hip-hop. I seem to recall a rather delectable-sounding female hostess giving the lab plenty of air-time on her wednesday evening slot. All of this on a commercial radio station. These were of course different economic times: a veritable gold-rush of easy credit with everybody getting rich. Plenty of slack in the market-place for innovative and creative art to show it's face - if you looked hard enough.

The corporate world teaches us these good things must come to an end. London live was hijacked and became a sad 24 hour talkshop/sports bulletin/phone-in hosted by the likes of the painfully unfunny Danny Baker.

S-Club 7 were 'the lab' of the teeny-bop market. Tim and Laetitia could now have been enjoying middle age: as smiley, happy-clappy presenters on morning breakfast television.

May 19, 2011, 06:49

flatironsteak
flatironsteak
343 posts

microbehunter wrote:
Dots and Loops, and it's subsequent tour ? I seem to recall Stereolab threatening Oasis and Blur for world domination.

Only the Guardian's writer with a PHD in philosophy thought that way!

May 19, 2011, 06:54

matthew6
matthew6
1909 posts

microbehunter wrote:

Well I wasn't quite suggesting that level of fame. By the way isn't Dot and Loops, the Labs biggest selling album? I recall reading somewhere that it sold (a whopping) 100 000 copies

May 19, 2011, 06:57

deadlyfingers
deadlyfingers
1224 posts

matthew6 wrote:

was dressing up as a Roman Centurion a 90's thing?

I gave it up around 2002 - but I've always been a little behind the times.

May 19, 2011, 07:06

thomas2
thomas2
1700 posts

cyberpainter wrote:

I don't think it gets any better than that! Classic. Wouldn't mind a quick wrestle with Katharine Gifford either.

May 19, 2011, 10:18

Pages: 6 – [ 1 2 3 4 5 6 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index