Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
Stereolab at the height of their fame?
52 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

nsc283b
405 posts

Re: Stereolab at the height of their fame?

I have always thought ETK a very important album. Not because I particularly like it (it's one of my least favourite Lab albums), but I do think ETK was the album where the band significantly changed direction. Not including the Switched On albums, the previous studio album had been MAQ. ETK and MAQ are very different styles (to my ears). ETK was somewhat commercially accessable, whereas MAQ was not. I know which I much prefer.

My experience is that when a band 'sells out' (for want of a better term), the music suffers. They become like 100 other bands of the same type. Commercial success may bring in the pennies, but at what cost? Normally a band's individuality and unique sound will suffer. It get's watered down to appeal to a wider audience. I doubt we would see Tim let that happen.

Stereolab are generally seen as one of the best experimental bands ever. I wonder if that would have been the case had they achieved commercial success.

May 19, 2011, 22:21

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: