Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
World Music
Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

nsc283b
405 posts

World Music

In one of the threads from a few days ago, Harold and I were discussing 'World Music'. I mentioned Cesaria Evora, Lhasa (RIP), Mariza, Metsatoll, and Poeta Magica. So, here are examples of each for your possible enjoyment.

May 19, 2011, 23:13

________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

Re: World Music

Very enjoyable the first three, especially Cesaria! A catchy tune that. Would you tell me who the third artist is? Thanks.

May 20, 2011, 02:04

nsc283b
405 posts

Glad you enjoyed some of them. The third one is Mariza. She is a Portuguese Fado singer, who was actually born in Angola.

May 20, 2011, 03:34

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

nsc283b wrote:
Glad you enjoyed some of them. The third one is Mariza. She is a Portuguese Fado singer, who was actually born in Angola.

I'll check that out and report back. The Poetica Magica is interesting, but the fella's voice needs some adaption. As a man from plaid I want more Scotch-Irish sounds in my playlists.Thanks.

May 20, 2011, 04:10

xperceptor
xperceptor
337 posts

xperceptor wrote:
nsc283b wrote:

I'll check that out and report back. The Poetica Magica is interesting, but the fella's voice needs some adaption. As a man from plaid I want more Scotch-Irish sounds in my playlists.Thanks.

After watching three videos of Mariza I find myself captivated. Such warmth and humor in her body language. I love the string band. Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzrUs08-SWs&feature=youtube_gdata_player

May 20, 2011, 04:34

microbehunter
microbehunter
626 posts

Toumani Diabate - Cantelowes

Konono No 1 - Paradiso

Staff Benda Billi - Je T'Aime

Ali Farka Toure - Ali's Here

May 20, 2011, 08:08

Harold Bissonette
Harold Bissonette
2062 posts

microbehunter wrote:
Toumani Diabate - Cantelowes

Konono No 1 - Paradiso

Staff Benda Billi - Je T'Aime

Ali Farka Toure - Ali's Here

Some nice stuff there - especially the Toumani Diabate. Heavenly. Ali Farka Toure - who is much missed - wonderful African blues.

Not sure what Health And Safety would have to say about Staff Benda Billi - can't be safe riding a motorbike and playing guitar at the same time.

May 20, 2011, 09:12

s_lush_s
s_lush_s
7383 posts

I like Bollywood music.

May 20, 2011, 13:59

nsc283b
405 posts

s_lush_s wrote:
I like Bollywood music.

Yes, I like some of it, mainly from the 1960s and 1970s. I particularly like Asha Bhosle.

May 20, 2011, 19:30

GaryB2
GaryB2
2322 posts

There are a couple of gargantuan World Music threads on the Sonic Youth Gossip forum. Seriously mind boggling.

May 21, 2011, 23:23

Pages: 2 – [ 1 2 | Next ]

add a reply to this topic
________________________________________________________________\______________________________________
stereolab table Index