Forum
#Topics
+Start a topic
?Search __________________________________

-Register
iPod classic on shuffle
63 messages
View: flat \ threaded
________________\________________________________________________\______________________________________

cyberpainter
cyberpainter
5928 posts

Re: iPod classic on shuffle

wracket wrote:
cyberpainter wrote:
Hmm, I'm no mathematician, but wouldn't the odds change with each flip? Each flip has a 50% chance of being odd or even. But the chances of all being even in a row gets statistically lower each flip. Is that right?

Well, even if you've already had 7 straight heads, the 8th flip is clearly still a 50/50 scenario. Of course, the odds are pretty low that you would get 10 straight heads (hhhhhhhhhh), but are the exact same as that of any other single combination (hththththt, hhhhhttttt, hhtththttt, etc.) Not sure if that's what you're asking about.

Yeah, however you say the odds are "low", but I don't delve deep enough to understand what that means. Seems like the odds would go down to get all heads repeatedly over time because as each is 50/50, you have 50% chance each time of breaking the streak. Also, since over time you'd probably break even, it feels like there should be some other kind of statistical factors in play (that are like some kind of magic hocus pocus to the likes of me).

Jul 10, 2011, 08:24

________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Topic Outline: